Chapter 29

Edward was still looking down at his hands when Grace said they should probably move back into the house. She and Andy both began to move to the door but he remained where he was, unmoving.
"Are you okay? Edward?" Andy said.
He was remembering things. Usually his memories would stay at the back of his mind, not disturbing him - but certain things made them come back up like an unstoppable rising tide.
This time he might be remembering something useful. He had in his mind a sequence where the man who had kidnapped Andy was talking to his father. His father... and Edward's 'father'. That memory was very faint - he didn't have many like that, so it must have been from a long time ago. Most likely the inventor didn't even realise he was conscious.
Another memory then came, this one vivid and clear. It was the inventor's son again. He had come back only weeks before Andy had came. He was angry for some reason, but Edward never understood why.
"Edward!" He snapped out of it and looked, dazed, up at Grace and Andy.
"Sorry," he moved through the door Grace was holding open, ducking his head though he didn't need to.
As they were walking through the back yard Andy hurried so she was walking with Edward.
"What happened back there?" She asked, her voice wrought with worry. "Did you like, freeze or something? Is that something that happens?"
"No." He shook his head. "I remembered him."
"Who, the inventor's son?"
"Yes. And..." he trailed off, too afraid to finish his sentence.
When Andy didn't ask him what he was going to say, he thought he should tell her anyway.
"...The inven- my father. He was there too." There was a silence after he finished speaking, and this made them both twitch their blades and stare at the ground.
"So he must be his son. That proves what Grace said. She was right! That's good, isn't it?" She said. They approached the back door and Grace was holding it open.
"Thanks." Andy nodded. "What would we do without you?"
"Yes, I really don't know how you cope." Grace replied in somewhat fascination. "Especially you." She gestured to Edward. "You've spent your whole life like this."
He looked down again and then at Andy's hands. He regretted ever letting her see him. He should have just stayed hidden. Then none of this would have happened.
"Um," Andy interjected. "Could I maybe get you to get this blood off my face?"
"Oh! Sure!" Grace left and returned a few seconds later with a wet cloth. She had to do it for her though, so Andy stood there awkwardly while Grace cleaned her face.
"Thanks. I..."
"What's that noise?" Grace said, holding a finger up in the 'shhh' gesture. "Oh no." She began to leave down the hallway. "Follow me! I think we have some visitors again."

Thanks for reading.
Don't forget to vote!