Chapter 40

"That was incredible!" Andy said as Kevin appeared from the bushes. "She just straight up believed you."
"I know," Kevin smiled faintly, resting for a moment with his hands on his knees. "She didn't seem like the brightest type. I probably didn't even need the prop - she was too preoccupied with saving her own name."
There was a pause in the conversation and Edward and Andy made eye contact, then she looked at Grace thoughtfully.
"Let's go back up now. I don't like it down here," Andy swiped a twig out of her face and snipped it off quite skilfully. They began to make their way up the hill again, and Andy ended up taking the lead. When she realised she was far in front, she snapped around, thinking she had left everyone behind. And she had, except for Edward - he was not more than a few steps away from her, peacefully trimming trees as he walked and not noticing she was looking at him. As he caught up to her he stopped when he saw feet on the ground. He followed them up slowly and when he met Andy's eyes he stared at them for a good five seconds.
"Hi," Andy said, her face turning red. "Where is everyone else?"
He gasped slightly, but it wasn't really a gasp, and turned to search for them. They were down on another level of the path, having to push through dead plants and branches as they went. It came as a surprise to Andy that suddenly she was using her hands to her advantage.
"Let's keep going, and then when everyone's there we need to check on the inventor's son." Andy said to Edward. He nodded and followed her up the path.

"Wow, you guys are fast," Grace panted as she lifted a branch for Kevin to duck under. Andy and Edward had been waiting at the top for about five minutes, and only now had Grace and Kevin arrived as well.
"Well, it's a lot easier when you can just cut back everything in your way," Andy smiled and shrugged.
"It would be even easier if I was 50 years younger," Kevin put in with a grumble.
"Oh - we need to check on 'you know who.' What if he's escaped?" Andy remembered what she had said earlier. They did not want that guy on the loose again. Especially up here in the mansion where everything had turned upside down.
"Yeah, and we should probably take him something to eat if we're going to leave him there," Grace added, putting her hand to her chin, "I've got some fruit."
"Let's just hope we can figure this out with him tied up." Andy said, dreading the thought of that man escaping. She looked to Edward and could see her thoughts in his eyes - he was fearing the same thing as her.

Thanks for reading.
Don't forget to vote!