Chapter 25

Grace entered the hallway with hesitation. She really did not want to talk to Chelsea and her friends today. Or any other day - but today it was especially important to keep them out. Kim had told Grace the whole story when she was little of what had happened to Edward in this town. Most of it had to do with the town's biggest gossip spreader - Joyce Monroe. Apparently she'd tricked him and then blamed him for trying to undress her in the back room of the hairdressing salon. Grace knew he'd never do that, and Joyce was a jerk.
Chelsea was Joyce's granddaughter, and she was just as much a jerk as her grandmother.
Grace opened the door, trying to stand in the opening to block them from getting in.
"What do you girls want?" She sighed.
"Whatcha think we want, Gracey?" She chirped, leaning with her hand on the doorframe, making the other girls have to look around her other side.
"I really don't know," Grace lied, "listen, I'm busy right now, so I kind of don't want to be bothered."
"Ooh, are you doing another of your research projects? Wow, can we see?" A chorus of "Yeah, can we see?" followed Chelsea's annoying voice.
Grace knew they weren't really interested - they just wanted to get inside because they'd heard something about Edward and Andy.
"I'm just going to ask you to leave." She then closed the door in their faces and locked it with a smile. It was never usually that easy. Usually Chelsea put her foot in the door or something, but not this time. She wondered if that was a good thing or not.
Grace went back out into the backyard pleased with herself for managing to shoo away the neighbours. But her satisfaction didn't last long.
Banging came from the back gate - the gate that opened with double doors for parties or events. Grace hadn't used it since she'd been there, so it creaked like it's hinges were going to break off when they banged on it.
"Are you serious?!" Grace yelled over the fence. "Just go away!"
Andy and Edward had heard this commotion - Andy had her head poked out the shed door.
"What's going on?" She asked nervously.
"The neighbours are trying to get in!" Grace said in a panic, trying to stop the gate from opening by leaning on it. It wasn't locked unfortunately.
Andy came out of the shed, intending to help the woman keep them out, but Grace freaked at her.
"No, don't come out! I'm trying to hide you!" She yelled, and Chelsea commented -
"Ooh, hiding something? Can't wait to see what it is!"
But by now Edward was half out the door, and when Grace yelled he jumped and went back inside. Andy glanced back and forth between Edward and Grace trying to decide what she should do, and then decided to go hide.

Thanks for reading.
Don't forget to vote!