Chapter 43

Andy watched Grace and Kevin leave through a tall rustic door, closing it behind them and making the sliver of warm light slowly recede, leaving the cold inside. She swallowed.
She was dreading starting the search for the fear of actually finding anything. They hadn't actually completely thought through what they were going to do when they found him. Hold a blade to his throat, she thought, until everyone came running.
"Know any hiding places in here?" Andy asked Edward, gazing around the wide open room and the spiralling staircase to the side.
"A few," he replied, happy to be helping. "Follow me."
Andy followed him through the corridors of the abandoned building, wrinkling her nose at the cobwebs and dust that riddled the entire place. The air inside was cold and stale, especially in the small, tight rooms they checked in.
All they found were a few spiders, metal scraps and mice, no inventor's sons or crazy people, even after checking all of the rooms. Well, all except one.
"There's one more," Edward stopped and turned to face Andy. "In here." He backed into a door to open it and stood so Andy could walk through without it closing on her. The room inside was filled with desks and workbenches, as well as countless notebooks and sheets of paper scattered about on the floor and tables.
"What is this place?" Andy muttered, but Edward only gazed on, waiting for her to explore.
Andy approached one of the desks - one with a significant amount of paper and books on it - and gingerly began to sift through them, being very careful not to cut anything.
She opened a large, leather backed book and squinted to read the funny scribbly writing that was inside. She turned a few pages with a blade and came upon some pictures. They were like blueprints, but for a person.
"Is this..?" She trailed off, and then looked at Edward. He was making an effort not to meet her stare, so she came over to him. He looked up.
"Was that... you? Blueprints for you?"
He nodded and a troubled sort of look came into his eyes.
"Yes." He said.

Thanks for reading.
Don't forget to vote!