Part 5: The Inventor's Vision - Chapter 45

Andy turned another page in the book, glancing up at Edward as she did so. He was still trying to remember the scene from his past that had just been conjured back into his mind. She turned her eyes to the book and began to read again, every word making her more and more curious. She desperately wanted to know the exact reason all of this had happened, and reading this book might get her there, she hoped. There was more about Edward at first - describing how the inventor was teaching him basically how to be a person. Andy smiled at him and said in a murmur: "He did a good job," But Edward only noticed she had said something after she had finished saying it.
"What?" He replied innocently.
"Nothing!" She flipped another page hurriedly with a blade. "Just admiring the inventor's work."
He didn't really seem to understand what she meant, but didn't want her to know that, so he just nodded and looked where she was looking.
"Let's have a look in another one, shall we?" She gingerly picked up another old leatherback from the pile by sliding it off onto her scissorhand and then onto the bench, and slowly opened it, the pages crackling at the spine. Everything in here was so old she was scared it might fall apart if she turned the page. As the first page became visible, they both stared at it for a good few seconds.
It had no heading or title, and only showed a shaky drawing of none other than the inventor's son, but he was staring emotionless into nothing, a bit like the look Edward gave when he was remembering something from his past.
"Okay," Andy said, "this is kind of weird." She turned to the next page, and it showed another entry in the same handwriting.
"I kept this page blank," She read, "so that I could write a summary of my experiment after I had finished. And now that I have, here is the summary. This experiment was the first prototype of it's kind. An idea came to me one day to invent life itself. To see if building a person is possible. So I tried and failed to do so."
She stopped reading to take in what she had just said to herself. "Failed?" She said confusedly.
Edward looked down at himself and then back at the open book, and Andy could see him trying to figure out what the inventor meant.
"He didn't fail," She said, frowning. She began to read again. "Ivan has proven more and more hostile recently, becoming jealous of me and beginning to resort to what I think are plans of murder. I have begun another prototype in his place, and they have been introduced - to Ivan's demand, but for now I am stuck forever trying to please what I have created."
They both went completely silent in shock of what they had just heard.
"...Ivan?" Andy repeated cautiously. "The inventor's son. He's... like you?"
"I see you've found father's old room." That painfully familiar voice came from behind them. Andy whipped around to see the inventor's son - Ivan - standing in the doorway.

Thanks for reading.
Don't forget to vote!