Part 4: Living With Scissors - Chapter 34

Edward had his back to the cupboard, his hands making scratches on the worn wood behind him. He watched Andy begin to pick a fight with this evil man, by laughing at him - her laugh was so...
He glanced at the man's knife. It was about the size of his hand, and it was true, theirs were much bigger, but that could still cause some serious damage. He of all people should know.
Andy said something mockingly and Edward caught something out of the corner of his eye. A person coming down the stairs. Grace? No, someone taller.
"I could kill you with my bare hands," the inventor's son held his knife out in front of him. "So don't underestimate..." and with a clang his eyes rolled into his skull and his knees buckled underneath him.
As he fell to the ground unconscious, an old man who looked about 70, with two large scars on his face was revealed behind him, holding a frying pan.
"Who are you?" Andy said, and the man grinned. She glanced at her worried-looking friend.
He knew this person. He knew him long, long ago.
"Hey, dude." The old man said very cooly. "I haven't seen you in a long time."
Then Grace came hurriedly down the stairs. She stopped, startled, when she saw the man lying sprawled on the floor, then looked up at the old man, impressed.
"Finally," Andy said, "someone who can explain to me what's going on."
Grace smiled sadly and then snatched the frying pan out of the old man's hands. He looked at her like she had just knocked his ice-cream onto the floor.
"Andy, meet my Great Uncle Kevin, Kevin, meet Andy."
Kevin held out his hand and then promptly realised that wasn't the best idea.
"Whoops, sorry. Wanna play scissors paper stone?" He laughed at his own joke, meeting everyone's eyes for approval, but all he got was a raised eyebrow from Andy, a frown from Grace, and lit up eyes from Edward.
"Anyway," he started again, "You look exactly the same as the last time I saw you!" He gestured to Edward. "And that was about..."
Edward gulped. The last time he'd seen him was when -
"Ah yes, when I got these bad boys!" He gestured to the scars on his face.
"Wait." Andy interrupted. "You did that?"
Edward looked down, ashamed.
"Oh, no, no." Kevin said. "He tackled me to save me from being run over. But I panicked and I guess I made us both scared. Let's just leave it at we struggled to get back up."
"So," Andy tried to get Edward to make eye contact with her, but he wouldn't. "You saved his life?" Edward rose his head and looked at her. He smiled faintly.
"And you!" Kevin turned to Andy. "This is amazing!" He laughed again, his voice rasping. "Why couldn't I have cool blades like that?"
"Trust me, you don't want them." Andy replied, unimpressed.

"What are we going to do about this guy?" Grace gestured to the leather clad man unconscious on the floor. "We can't just leave him here."
"Tie him up," Kevin said, and everyone looked at him. "What? You just gonna let him run free?"
"No," Andy poked the man's shoulder with a blade. "But I wish we could just..."
"No!" Grace said. "Even if he did this to you, you aren't going to kill him."
Kevin interjected again, "Well let's tie him up, then."

Thanks for reading.
Don't forget to vote!