Chapter 49:: Trouble Trouble

Raj straightened his blazer as Preet approached him. Getting off his chair, he smirked at her.

"Hey, future wify," he remarked while Preet decided to ignore it.

"Let's go?" She asked, gesturing towards the door and Raj nodded.

Before Preet could push open the door, Raj held her hand. Preet gasped at the sudden touch and nervously pulled her hand away.

"Easy, beautiful," Raj chuckled again, leaning closer, "how about we go inside and tell him everything?" He suggested, making Preet's eyes go wide, "you know, he might have another stroke and die on the spot and you won't-"

"Shut. UP!" Preet narrowed her eyes at him and then looked away.

"Oh come on, You are doing all this is for your grandfather, right? So, you should get rid of him and marry who ever that bastard is. I think it's a fair deal," he laughed looking at Preet's pale face, "shall I do the job for you?" He whispered, stretching the words.

Preet shot a glare at him and snorted. "You dare not say a word," she pointed her index finger at him.

"Ha! Really? Then beg for it," Raj spoke, bending down to be at Preet's height. The strong smell of alcohol forced Preet to move back. She has been to places where people drink; in fact, the males her family do too but, she had never met someone, who drank so much that even their clothes carried that odour, until now.

"Don't say anything to him, Raj. Please," this was the least she could do to stop Raj from ruining everything. However, he was not going to give up any time soon. "Was that an order or a request?" Raj raised his eyebrow and Preet mentally stabbed him, "say it like you mean it, babes."

Preet unwillingly joined her hands together and repeated her sentence but, more softly this time. Raj shook his head, laughing and went inside.

"If we do get married, I'll ruin your life, mr Raj Kashyap and that's a jatti's (female of a higher Sikh caste) promise," Preet mumbled to herself and went inside. Quickly straightening her expressions, she sat next to her grandfather. He had called biggest of them together to talk to them about something.

Kulbhushan [daar ji] weakly smiled at his grand daughter and kept his hand on Raj's head as Raj touched his feet. "Kitna Pyaara bacha hai," he smiled. Preet glared at Raj and he smirked, making her look away in disgust.

"How are you now?" Preet asked, grabbing her grandfather's hand.

"A lot better," Kulbhushan said, touching Preet's cheek, "but, what about-"

Kulbhushan's sudden coughing attack gave Preet a fright and she instantly offered him water. He took a few sips and continued.

"Today is your sangeet. Are you two happy?" He asked and Preet's eyes traced back to Raj's.

Raj raised an eyebrow and was about to say something when Preet barged in, "yes we are. We are ....happy."

"This is exactly what I wanted to hear," Kulbhushan panted with a smile on his lips, "it was Raj's grandfather's wish and that simple wish has given me such a wonderful grandson-in-law."

Raj grinned while Preet felt the stinging sensation coming back in her eyes. She blinked it away and kissed her grandfather's hand. There is no way she could cry in front of that jerk, sitting a meter away from her.

"Ab ghar jao. Tonight is going to be pretty tiring for both of you and proper rituals are starting tomorrow," Kulbhushan sighed, "Go and take rest and let me sleep."

With that said, Kulbhushan slowly closed his eyes and carefully pulling cover over his chest, Preet left the room with Raj.

"Now say thanks," Raj ordered Preet and she rolled her eyes again.