Chapter 11:: Over The Cliff

HEY!! I wrote this chapter on the way home so, apologies for any mistakes as I have not proofread it.
Love Always!
Happy Reading

~~~BANI'S POV~~~
After changing into fresh clothes, I found myself a dry spot to lie down. I stretched reluctantly, aware of four young men within the radius of ten meters from me. Pulling out my bottle of sunscreen, I squirted a large blob on my palm. Here in New Zealand sunscreen is the most important thing for a trip like this unless you are purposefully trying to get tanned. Beaches or picnics aren't really my idea of vacations. I am only here for one reason; Preet.
"Chicken is ready!" Shehry announced and everyone gathered around the hangi. I noticed that Hussain took a seat next to Preet but thankfully she skyrocketed the very moment and landed right next to me. She is my to-be-sister in law and she better not cross anymore lines now.
After eating we played antakshari for a bit and while everyone seamed involved, Preet kept very quite. She was lost in her own world and didn't even respond when Hussain gave her a word. She excused herself after a while.
Preet had ditched antakshari! Whats up with this girl? She seemed quite distant today and I couldn't get under her skin. What was even more disappointing was that Asmaara could see right through her. That girl I tell you! she irritates me to bits.
~~~PREET'S POV~~~
The water tinkled in a laughing sort of way and it seemed like a place where faeries might live. The rocks were slippery but there was an iron rope to hold on to. I watched the water scatter in awe as tiny droplet splashed on my face. Cold breeze swept past my bare skin while I sat on the very edge of the cliff. Inhaling the soft smell of wet mud, I smiled to myself. These sort of places always manage to relax me.
I wonder if I would get to experience these times after marriage or not? Heck! I don't even what kind of a person Raj is. His social networking accounts define him as a snoot or a very formal kind of person. Wearing a three piece in his every profile pic, golf as his favourite sport, always updating status about share market or new business deals. He enjoys reading autobiographies, books with heavy nonfiction content and historic events. Whereas I would rather spend my time over love stories and parties with friends. Late night movies work for me and I worship cricket all the way. A mistake; that's what we are.
They always say that the opposites attract but this time, I am having a very buri wali feeling. To attract, those so-called opposites need to come closer but I haven't even officially seen his pics yet. Yup! I kinda hacked into Bani's Facebook account through my computer skills and that's how I saw his profile. Otherwise my family isn't really planning to allow me to see his face any time soon. Ugh! Daar ji and his old fashion rules.
"Bohot problem hai na usse baat karne main?" Asmaara came and sat next to me.
What?!
"Hussain se?" She added.
Lo ab ek aur aa gayi uski side lene ke liye.
"I was thinking about something very serious, you know?" I sighed, hoping to avoid the 'Hussain' topic.
"About shaadi?" She lowered her voice so no one could hear us even though the water was loud enough to stop anyone from eavesdropping.
"About Raj," I corrected her, looking away.
"Don't," she mumbled, "you won't go against daarji's decision so there is no point moaning over it. The best thing is to just live right now. Jo ho ga, dekha jayega." She passed me a half smile which had traces of doubt in it.
Jo ho ga dekha jayega? I asked myself. Daarji's decisions weren't always the ones I wanted to take for myself but he somehow always managed to convince me that they were right for me and thus I blindly followed him. However, this time, I don't think I want to let him take such a big step for me. After graduation I wanted to study ahead and get a higher degree if not work but he screwed up the whole plan. Why is it so important for girls in our community to get married as soon as the grow up? Is our soul purpose is to look after someone else's house and produce kids? This is not what Daarji assured me my life would be like. If he had to chop off my winds one day then why not do it the day I was born? At least it wouldn't have hurt as much as it does now.
~~~ASMAARA'A POV~~~
I saw a glimpse of pain in her eyes. She looked down at her hands as she held back the tears that had welled up in her eyes. My best friend was giving up on life for her grand father's sake; or I shall say, under the terror of what he was capable of doing. Either way, I was helpless; I couldn't help her because she didn't want to help herself. Only one word, Preet, and I will make sure that my parents use all the power that they hold to help you out!
"Ehem," she cleared her throat, "I am just gonna grab a snack."
Really? Who are you trying to fool here?
"Yeah sure," I excused her, aware of what her real intentions were. Preet was just going to walk around and find another quite corner for herself. She always does that.
"Wait!" I grabbed her lower leg, completely unaware of the consequences.
~~~PREET'S POV~~~
"Yeah sure," Asmaara smiled at me as I got up to leave.
I carefully found my way up the slippery rock that I was siting on until something firm clasped around my leg. The ground moved under my feet, making me aimlessly reach out to grasp on to nothing but air.
"Preet!" I heard Asmaara yell as I tumbled for what seemed like forever. I felt her hand brush past mine. She was getting further away from me as I spun helplessly. What was happening to me? This isn't one of my usual vertigo attacks.
I craved for air when my hands finally found something to hold on to. The world still spun before my eyes and things seemed blurry.
"Hold on to it! We will get you out of there at any cost. Just hold on to it!" I heard several voices from a distance.
I tried putting together their words, forcefully keeping my eyes open. Looking around, I tried observing my surroundings. I gasped out of shock!
I was stuck atleast 3meters down the slope and there was at least 70 meters drop below me.
Hey Rabba!