Chapter 41:: Clearing Up the Awkwardness

Not edited.

~~~ASMAARA's POV~~~

I smiled and nodded my head occasionally to look like I was a part of this conversation while the truth is that I wasn't really. All the female relatives of Preet were discussing the dances and things to do while sangeet which is three days from now and will happen basically every night until mehendi. The talk was happening in Hindi and Punjabi so, Jess and Paige had a reason to sneak out whereas I am stuck here. I don't even know where Preet is. She went out a little while ago and I have no clue where she might be.

Ugh! I just need to stop keeping an eye on her from a distance. Looking after her could be done by staying next to her too.

"So, it's decided!" One of the aunties grabbed my attention, " the actual sangeet will be held two days before mehendi, followed by a cocktail party."

"We should really get going with the dances then," Mehek got off her seat but, Kashish pulled her down again.

"Special restrictions for you. Just stay glued to your seat," Kashish ordered and Mehek groaned. I would too if I was in her position.

"Food should be ready any moment," Paramjeet Aunty said to me, "how about you go and get your three partners in crime?"

"Yeah sure," I smiled and left. Phew!

~~~PREET's POV~~~

The poolside felt just right to give my mind a break. No one came this side as it was reserved for the cocktail party so, it was the most peaceful spot available right now.

It has been almost a day and half since the day of my engagement and not once Hussain tried to meet me. Shehry, however, came up to congratulate me that night. It got pretty awkward as none of us knew what else to say. Acting normal wouldn't have helped me that night and I had certainly lost my ability to even cry. To be honest, I am just done with it. If I am getting married then I would rather do it positively rather than crying about my situation. If I can't be selfish enough to choose my own future then I should at least open heartedly accept the one daarji chose for me.

A little shuffling next to me broke my chain of thoughts. Asmaara smiled at me, curving her lips only a millimetre upwards. That tight smile irritates me. I am no charity case here. Okay fine! I have been acting like one but, that still doesn't mean that you would treat me like one.

"Done with that smile already?" I asked blankly, "and what's up with those sad stares? And the distance you are keeping?"

Asmaara looked up at me briefly and then looked away, "I am already sitting 10 cm away from you. How much close you want me to be?" She smirked.

No, Not working.

"Asmaara?" I asked, trying my best to stay calm, "when I look at you, I expect to-"

"Comfort you?" She completed it for me, "how though? By telling you lies?" Her voice faded as she looked at my again.

"What am I supposed to say? That you will be fine when I know you won't? Probably ever," she stuttered and I just stared at her, "jab koi aapka dil todta hai na toh bohot dard hota hai and still it's hard to forget that very person."

Asmaara's voice started to break. She paused for a moment and sucked in a deep breath, "Imraan and I were together for as long as I can remember and it took him a minute to ruin everything," she let out a low sob, making me move a little closer to her, "and look, I am still crying over him! And these stupid eyes won't stop leaking now."

"You haven't really cried over him, have you?" I asked softly, "it's okay, trust me."

Asmaara looked at me and then shook her head, letting out a light laugh, "you see? Even after being cheated on, I Am not over him. Toh Hussain and you....." Her voice trailed off like she was a loss of words, "what am I supposed to say? That be with the guy you have known for six days and go against your family or that marry the guy you don't even know at all and make your family happy?"

She looked at me with questions in her eyes and I certainly didn't have any answers. Asmaara continued after a few seconds, "either way, you will be the one struggling and it kills me that I can't help you."

"First love is always hard to forget. Your dad is an example," she sighed, wiping away the tear, "how can I give you hope jab mujhe apne liye hi koi hope nazar nahi aati?"

I have never seen Asmaara so sad and broken; not even the day of her Breakup. Over the years she had learnt to live alone with busy parents and no siblings. Her only support ever was Imraan and that very person broke her.

Pulling Asmaara in to a hug, I whispered, "I don't need it. I know what I want to do now."

~~~
Hey!!
I know it's not that long but it's a special update for the birthday girl MahrukhKhan6 .. Happy birthday and have an awesome year ahead!! I hope I updated before 12??