1

"Are you ready for a new start?"

Y/n looked at the man next to her then faced forward again. "Do I really have a choice?"

He sighed and gently placed his hand on top of her head. "Come on. Let's go." She followed him as he led her to a car that was parked along the sidewalk. "You have the choice now to make things different from your old life. I would take it if I were you."

"I understand, Aizawa," she muttered lowly, but loud enough for him to hear. Y/n didn't want to admit it, but for once in her life she was both scared and nervous at the same time— almost shaking really.

Normally, she was a very calm and collective girl. That didn't mean she was a pushover though. No... she always voiced whatever she was thinking to convince herself that she's a tough, confident girl. And it always worked. Until now.

For such a young girl, she's been through a lot, but it was never unbearable. Whatever the situation was, she always learned to endure it and find a solution to her problem. That's what her father taught her. Her father.. who was so obsessed with power and strength, who always wanted to her excel at everything she did. For the longest time it was like he sewed that into her mind, but now he's not here to remind her of that.

Flashback. 2 weeks ago.

The night Y/n came home to her parents' lifeless bodies on the floor was probably the scariest moment of her life. What was worse was she didn't know what happened, how they died, what their last words and thoughts were.

All she could think about was the fact that she'll never truly know how her parents felt about her. Were they proud of her? Did they really love her? Guess now, she'll never find out. But she loved them, that's for sure. No matter how poorly her dad treated her, she always sought for his validation and approval. She wished she overcame that habit.
As for her mother, well.. she was always quiet and barely talked to her. Even though they lived together she never knew much about her own mom. In that moment she wished she tried harder to form a better relationship with her.

Present

"I'm sorry you're stuck with me now," Y/n spoke as her and Aizawa were on their way to their destination.

"How many times do I have to tell you you're not a burden for me," he replied in a monotone voice. "Your mother and I were best friends during our teenage years and I've took care of you multiple times."

"Well yeah you babysat me," she corrected him. "That's not the same as practically adopting me." The first time she met Aizawa was when she was only four years old. Her parents had to go out to take care of business so her mother called in an old friend to take care of her for the night.

"Think of me as your godfather. This is the least I could do anyway. Your mother did a lot for me back then. She was always an exceptional woman.. I wish I got to tell her that." He let out a soft sigh and pinched his temple. Y/n could tell he was angry and distressed at the fact that he didn't know how her mom died either.

"You liked her didn't you," she hesitated to ask. Aizawa quickly turned his head to Y/n but his expression remained calm. As always. "It's just that.. every time you talk about her, you always mention how great she is at least once." She smiled a bit as she saw him break eye contact to stare at the floor. "Do you think... you can tell me more about what she was like back then sometime? You know mom and I never talked a lot so I don't know much about her."

"She really did love you, kid. Angeline L/n was never great at expressing how she felt." But she wished her mother would've told her that herself. He finally brought his face up to make eye contact with Y/n again. "Look, I'm really the last person to be taking you in— you know me. I don't like people in general. But I promise I will do my best to give you a good life— better than your previous one. Whether that's insensitive of me to say or not, it's the truth."

"I wouldn't want to stay with anyone else," she admits. "Besides, you've always treated me better than my own father has." She looks out the window as they enter a new city. "Though I guess I should thank him, he's the reason why I got stronger. I'm just worried without him, I'll become weaker."

"You don't have to worry about that," Aizawa captured the girl's attention again. "Where we're going, you will have plenty of room to improve on your quirk and as a person alone. And I'll be right there to see it happen."

Even though his words felt like they were coming out of a robot, she took it to heart. Probably cause she knew Aizawa is barely this nice and she probably won't be able to see much of this side of him again.

"UA High." It just seems unreal to be going to the top hero school of all time. "Won't the students there question why I'm transferring this late in?"

"Considering the annual sports festival is taking place in three days, yeah. There'll be a couple questions, so you and I both need to have the same stories if people start asking around," Aizawa informs her.

"I can say you're my uncle," she beamed, staring at him in admiration. "The niece of the pro hero, Eraserhead. That'd be so cool! Wait, doesn't All Might also teach at UA... so am I gonna see him around? Oh my god. I'm going to be walking the same halls as All Might!"

"Tch. You remind of me this student I have in my class. Both of you are amazed by All Might even if he just breathes." Aizawa rolled his eyes.

"We'll probably get along then. I can't wait to meet them." And that's when it hit her. She has no idea how to make friends. "Do you think the class will like me?" Aizawa blinked at the young girl a couple times. "YOU'RE MAKING ME NERVOUS! IS THAT A NO??"

"I'm kidding. I'm sure they'll have no problem with you," he finally answered. "I think."

"Eh?? Wai-"

"We're here." He got out of the car and went to the trunk to grab all her belongings for her. As she step outside, she spun around in a 360 to take in a view of the city, her new home. "Oi, take your things, why am I doing all the work for you?" He slammed the trunk back down to close it.

"This place is amazing," she ignored his comment, making him let out another sigh. "So I start tomorrow right? At UA? I'm so excited! And nervous... but mostly excited. What time am I waking up tomorrow?"

"You talk too much..." Aizawa had annoyance written all over his face. "Hurry up and take your shit so I can go to sleep."

"But it's 4pm," Y/n informed him, but he had already walked through his front door. "Can you at least help me carry one thing in?!" No response.

Later that night...

Although moving had taken up her mind off things, whenever she was laying in bed alone at night, her thoughts would always trail back to her parents. And the image she has of them dead on the floor.

"I promise I will find out what and who did this to you guys," she mumbled to herself. "But at least now I'm attending UA High. That means I can become a hero. Isn't that what you've always wanted dad? For me to be the best at everything? No matter what it took?"