Final Chapter

From the Diaries of Rowan Oakenshield-Greenleaf, Lady of the Blue Mountains

A Recount of the United Households

Peace continues to hold. Despite the rumors that may spread about how evil is never truly gone. But the battle at the gates of Mordor centuries ago has had a positive impact on Middle-earth. Any threat which arises is quickly handled. The United Households and their alliances remain strong as well. Even if the original members of the pact are no longer with us. Their children and grandchildren keep everything they worked so hard for intact.

King Faramir and Queen Éowyn of Edoras were the first to leave us. Their son, Elboron, took up the throne. And now in his old age, passed it to his heir, Barahir.

King Aragorn of Gondor succumbed to old age nearly a century after mother's dear friends in Rohan. His death hit Queen Arwen the hardest and she passed a year after him. Healers state from a broken heart. Proof to my younger sister that love is one of the greatest emotions and feelings one may possess in the world. Prince Eldarion became king. While their daughters spread throughout the lands of Gondor, even going as far as Isengard and Lórien.

And at the center of this alliance that defined the centuries to come, King Legolas and Queen Linnéa. My mother and father. The last king and queen of the Dwarven Ages as Lady Galadriel predicted. But not due to an unseen circumstance or fall of a household. Queen Linnéa, lived till her two-hundred twenty-fifth birthday. King Legolas, followed her in death one hundred and fifty years after.

In their lifetime they bore four children. At the end of their reign the household was divided between the heirs. To ensure that neither held more power than the other. To give them the necessary tools to work together, and a choice as to how they wished to live their lives. No more kings, queens, princes, and princesses. Lord and Lady were the only titles, but held the same importance.

Lord Galan of Erebor, lives under the Mountain and next to Dale. He took up our parents' teachings and continues to act as a bridge between the races. The lands prosper. And all coexist much easier. A battle our parents fought so hard for and met obstacles along the way. Sometimes it's hard to change the minds of those set in their ways.

Lady Rowen of the Blue Mountains. I traveled from my homelands to live in the west. Closer to the Shire and the Gray Havens. My efforts in the trade business boosted the routes between the spread-out households. And broke down many borders between the lands, now that merchants needed to move to and from markets for their profession.

Lady Marigold of the Iron Hills, became the best blacksmith out of us all. Many compare her to our grandmother, Poppy. She's hard headed, like a Dwarf, passionate, and determined. A great ruler who also supports exploration efforts to the east and north into the Forodwaith where not much is known of those lands. She always held an interest in adventures ever since we were barins.

And Lord Cirdan of the Woodlands. A Ranger, who ensures the protection of the outer realms and our allies throughout Middle-earth. He comes to the Blue Mountains from time to time. Sometimes I get a letter. But he moves like a ghost. Much like King Aragorn once did before he settled in Gondor. His expertise in weapons outshines us all, though we were raised to be capable fighters. But without a war, he's the only one to see conflict on the road in his travels.

Grandfather Dáin, Uncle Dwalin, Uncle Gimli, Uncle Éomer, Aunt Nettie, Sam, Merry, Pippin – my brother, Galan, and I were fortunate to know them all in their lifetime. Marigold knew a few. Cirdan doesn't have many memories since he's the youngest. Being so mixed among the races means long lifelines and death surely follows when aging longer than the race of Men. But that also leaves uncertainty for us as well. Men, Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves. All are so different and it makes one think. To live life today and never take any day for granted. Magic has gone from these lands. Which leads me to believe that none of us will possess the longevity of our father. And we've come to accept it. I don't know how I'd be able to live longer than a few centuries. It sounds tiring.

While we miss the company of one another and our loved ones that are gone, that is how life is. It gives and takes until your time is up. But that is the life we live. We are born, we grow up, we find our own paths, break off, have families of our own, and then we're gone. Most of my siblings have reached the stage in our lives that we're starting our own families. Galan already has three heirs, myself, two, and Marigold has one along the way. I'm not sure Cirdan will settle down. His love lies in traveling through the Wild. But he's a wonderful Uncle.

What is clear to me, is that the United Households remains intact. And it will continue to do so long after we are gone. That in itself is a step forward to ensure evil never takes root like it did before. To live in harmony and peace. So one may not have to endure the hardship our ancestors faced on their quests. Individuals should be allowed to live their lives as they wish. Whether it be sixty, one hundred, or two-hundred twenty-five years. And we have the original alliance to thank, along with all those who stood behind them. Because of them we are prospering in this age right now. Life could've been much different if they didn't stand up to the darkness. I hope that if it ever did resurface, we'd have half of the bravery they possessed. Their courage and strength. And we'd be just as successful in ridding the monstrosities that threaten our livelihood.

Rowen, Lady of the Blue Mountains