Chapter 45

The birth of the twins became the pride of the Mountain. Those in Erebor adored the barins and in Dale as well. The celebrations nearly lasted two months. And their allies came to not only give gifts, but their good wishes too. King Thranduil arrived from the Woodland Realm more often. To enjoy what time he had left in Middle-earth with his grandchildren. None of the Dwarves would've believed the Elf King was capable of smiling unless in a cruel manner. Or that he possessed a soft side. Though it didn't change some of the resentment directed at the ruler, many tolerated his presence now.

Dáin was the perfect grandfather figure. Who enjoyed spoiling the twins, sneaking sweets to them when their parents weren't looking, and telling them bedtime stories in front of the hearth. Meanwhile, Dwalin and Gimli assumed the roles of uncle. The older warrior expressed his excitement to train another Durin to fight alongside their kin. Both already acquired toy axes, which they teethed and drooled on for the most part at the start. Once they started walking though, they didn't sit still. Half the time, the queen or king chased after to keep them out of trouble. Or their personal servants when the two were busy entertaining the Council or political matters.

When the time came for the last of the Greenwood Elves to depart, King Thranduil made one final appearance under the Mountain.

"When do you leave?" Legolas questioned.

"Once my visit here is concluded those that remain will follow me to Mithlond," the ruler answered.

Linnéa made a funny face, Rowen and Galan giggling from her antics. The king smiled fondly at his family on the other side of the room.

"Let me come with you," the son offered.

"That isn't necessary," the Elf said.

Legolas turned his attention back to his father. "It will be the last time we see one another."

"I know. But you have a family now. Your children have only just turned one."

"I–"

"You have responsibilities here, Legolas. There's no need to follow after. We will say our goodbyes at the front of Erebor's gates and I will leave Middle-earth."

There was no use arguing. So the king dropped the subject.

"And what will become of your realm?" Legolas wondered.

"Let it return to the forest," King Thranduil said. "Unless you wish to give it to one of your children."

"A palace to live in, but have no one to rule? No, returning it to the forest is for the best. The Elves wishing to stay will know how to use it in their travels. A point of rest."

Rowen and Galan fell into their mother's open arms. She tipped backwards in a dramatic manner, holding them tight while they squirmed.

"They are beautiful children, Legolas," King Thranduil said. "My only regret is that I will not get to see them grow up. Or discover if the two of you will have more heirs. But in my absence, I hope you know how proud I am."

"I know, Father. Thank you."

When King Thranduil departed, the king, queen, prince, and princess saw him off at the gate. The Elven King hugged the grandchildren tightly, kissing their heads. He then gave a small bow to Linnéa, and spoke,

"You were right to hold your ground. On your views and title. I am glad to know my people are in good hands in the absence of the Woodland rulers."