Chapter 12

"We need to capture those ships," was all that Strider said.

Linnéa watched the black ships draw closer to their position along the bank of the river. The four of them swiftly descended the mountainside to not miss the opportunity of crossing paths with the enemy. Now all they could do was wait alone once they came around the bend. They were nowhere close enough to be able to board. Not without swimming the distance. Though a bow could reach their position, as the captain of the ship noticed their presence.

"You may go no further," Aragorn declared when they were within earshot.

The statement drew the attention of the others moving about the vessels. All gathered along the railing or stood on the upper decks above the crowded area to gain a view of the threat. Who would be so bold to declare a thing in their presence?

"You will not enter Gondor," the Ranger said.

Realizing they were only four in number, the men began laughing loudly amongst themselves.

"Who are you to deny us passage?" the captain wondered.

The threat amused him. Even with their weapons drawn the company looked as harmless as a field mouse from where they stood.

"Legolas, fire a warning shot past the bosun's ear," Aragorn spoke lowly.

The request had the Dwarf and princess smirking. The arrogance of the boatmen didn't quiet down in the slightest. Legolas drew back his bow without protest, taking aim at the small gap, for the enemy's figure was stout and gave little room for mistake.

"Mind your aim," Gimli warned.

The Elf paid him no mind, for the prince never missed whether he meant to hit the target or bluff. However, the Dwarf tapped the bottom of the drawn weapon seconds before the arrow released through the air. The action caused the weapon to shift to the left as the tip embedded into the bosun's chest. None were laughing anymore.

"Oh!" Gimli gasped.

Aragorn's head snapped in the Elf's direction at the blunder, only for the prince to shoot the guilty Dwarf a look. Gimli didn't pay his comrades any mind. Linnéa merely rolled her eyes. Of course her comrade did that on purpose. Teasing the black ships with a bluff would have most likely not lured them in, but instead of vocally protesting Aragorn's order he went ahead and took matters into his own hands. Now they had the full attention of the ships, many shocked that the bosun had been killed, and others angry from the attack.

"That's it," Gimli taunted. "Right. We warned you. Prepare to be boarded."

Instead, they laughed once more. Because despite the fact the Elf's arrows could reach them at this distance, boarding was impossible. In fact they were sailing past them and knew none would try swimming over. Not only would it risk their lives, but the ships would have been carried away by the current before the company could catch up.

"Boarded?" the captain mocked. "By you and whose army?"

Linnéa cocked a brow, feeling goosebumps form on the skin from the cold air that cascaded over them. The once clear view became rippled and hazy, filled by tints of white and green. The dead materialized around them and passed through their bodies to advance on the black ships. With raised weapons the dead floated over the river without pause. High-pitched wails and screams erupted from the boatmen. Some tried to jump overboard only to be dragged back onto the deck or were followed into the water to be killed. Eventually, the sounds of terror disappeared among all of the ships leaving the dead army to mull about in a more relaxed manner as they continued to pass by.