Chapter 15

It wasn't hard to disappear with everyone so busy. And thankfully neither ran into Gimli when Linnéa found a free room that seemed to act as a small study. Legolas followed without hesitation, coming to the center of the room and turning towards the princess as she closed the door. She stepped a bit closer observing him carefully for a moment. Though he would probably never admit it, she could see how exhausted he was. Some blood stained his clothes from the various creatures cut down, hair in slight disarray. But in all honesty if the princess looked in a mirror, she probably appeared a lot worse. It was amusing in her mind, but she wasn't smiling.

"I guess I should thank you," she finally spoke up. "For not allowing that oliphaunt to trample me to death. But that still does not explain your rash actions on the field after it was all over... and for all to see."

"I guess I wasn't really thinking," he answered honestly. "But I don't regret it."

"I could have punched you right then and there knocking you unconscious. And Gimli could have taken you out by the kneecaps."

"I decided to take my chances."

"Why?"

"Isn't it obvious?" he wondered with a cocked brow.

Maybe, but she wanted to hear it from his lips. "Enlighten me."

The conversations they engaged in, their teasing every now and then when they weren't fighting for their lives, the concern they held for one another now when in a predicament or danger, one would see and think that somehow both races managed to 'get along'. But to Linnéa she started to notice something more from the looks she caught when Legolas believed she was unaware of his staring. Though she wanted to be sure she wasn't tricking herself to something that wasn't actually there. The princess didn't need to make a fool of herself.

Meanwhile, Legolas knew it was going to be hard for him to convince Linnéa of his reason behind the kiss. And he would have to do so in a way that wouldn't give him a black eye in the next few minutes. Or an ax in the back.

"You're a strong warrior that holds their own in the field," he said. "Many with your social standing prefer to stay behind their walls or are not given the opportunity to learn how to fight when they wish to help the cause. You're independent and delegate with other leaders in an impressive manner that manages to convince sides that have usually opposed each other to somehow work together. Or at least calm heated tensions. And though you are a skilled fighter, a strong leader, you are also humble, and protect those that need help. No matter the danger. All of those qualities about yourself are what I have grown to respect and admire in the time we have traveled together. Despite our races I don't care about any of that. When you are hurt, I can't help but worry and think what I should have done to help prevent it. So when you were nearly trampled by the oliphaunt I realized there were things I had never told you or things I had acted on. When it was all over, I made a rash decision."

Linnéa remained silent for a moment before quietly stating, "I don't know whether to call you insane or too bold for your own good."

The prince smirked. "Probably too bold for my own good. I know the kind of damage you can do to an opponent in battle with a single punch."

Now it was her turn to smirk.

"How much trouble am I in?" he wondered.

"I haven't decided yet," the princess admitted.

"If a punch to the jaw will have you forgive me then I will gladly take it."

Linnéa moved a bit closer to get a good look at him, head tilting up a bit to keep eye contact.