Chapter 28

Durin's Day. The first day of the Dwarves' New Year. And signal of the last moon of Autumn at the threshold of Winter. It was a grand affair that took place throughout the halls of Erebor and spilled out into the streets of Dale. The city beyond the Mountain took part in it as well with street vendors spread throughout to entertain Dwarves that came from the Blue Mountains, Iron Hills, and the Wild. It was the best time for all businesses with the amount of individuals that came through their gates. Decorations were hung between the buildings in Dale, and banners with the mark of Durin draped from the upper walkway of Erebor that looked over the main doors.

Inside the Mountain, the set up was lavish. Dwarves wore their finest clothing to commemorate the occasion. Polished armor, jewels, and an array of beads in their hair alongside intricate braids. It was one of the few times Linnéa wore the crown that symbolized her status without quarrel.

She stood in front of a mirror, smoothing out the front of the dress. The fabric was dark blue in color with an intricate silver design woven into the trim and covered the belt around the waist. The same color ribbon crisscrossed in the back to close the dress up. The braids in her hair changed too, to mark the occasion. Not only were they now a symbol of her lineage, but also of her role as a princess and a single one at that. All females who were eligible wore a similar style to symbolize their marital status. The male braids were less noticeable in this sense. The name of the household they belonged to was more important, their mark on the armor worn. Linnéa took a breath. She stayed in her room long enough. Besides, the warrior had a guest to entertain. Knowing how the Dwarves were during parties, she needed to make sure to keep a close eye on him.

Legolas did not expect the knock at his door early that morning. When he began to prepare for Durin's Day, the Elf figured that he'd be wearing what he brought from the Greenwood. Instead, a servant handed him a package.

"From Princess Linnéa," the Dwarf said. "She asks that you wear this."

It was light blue in color with a silver embroidered into the fabric. Of Dwarvish make from the trouser to the top that ran past the hips under the belt tied into place. Even the emblems along the cuffs coincided with Erebor. Legolas knew that today he would stand out among the patrons. Most likely would be the only Elf present. The prince was thankful that Linnéa tried to help him as much as possible. Appease those who were bound to look at him in an unwelcome manner due to grudges from centuries past.

There came another knock at his door. This time when he opened it, he grinned. "That looks handsome on you," Linnéa commented.

"I'm glad you think so," Legolas said.

He pulled her just inside the door to give her a kiss on the lips out of sight from anyone that may be in the hall.

"And you look beautiful."

"Flattery will get you everywhere," she said. "Come on. The festivities are about to begin, and the royal family must be present to kick off Durin's Day."

The prince and princess walked side-by-side into the throne room where quite a handful of Dwarves, even a few humans from Dale, had already gathered. The presence of the Elf caused many to whisper. Linnéa bent down to kiss King Daín's cheeks in greeting.

"I began to wonder if we had to start late this year," he commented.

"Never. You know I'm always on time."

"Prince Legolas," the Dwarf greeted with the nod of his head.

Legolas gave a bow, which didn't go unnoticed by the Council. That had been the right thing to do, the princess relieved to see the favorable reception from the action.