Chapter 34

King Thranduil may have kept his interactions with Princess Linnéa limited to a few hours of the day, notably breakfast and supper, since he had a kingdom to run. But that didn't mean the king wasn't watching. He listened to what his subjects had to say about their unusual guest. Watched her walk through the halls in the company of his son. The tales soldiers whispered once back from the hunt. Though just her appearance alone in his throne room that day caused the king to cock a brow. The way blood was splashed on the armor and limited visible skin. The princess wasn't disgusted by the crusted red liquid in slightest. Almost wore it with pride at her kills in the forest. And that evening at the table, Legolas and her shared more details on how they'd effectively taken care of the beasts. It was remarkable to King Thranduil how intimidating Linnéa could look in one setting and then regal in another.

The king hated to admit to himself that he couldn't get a read on the visitor from Erebor. There were still so many questions. Thorin had been so easy to decipher and gauge. Poppy was the mystery. King Thranduil held their daughter in the same way as her mother: someone who stood out, but always left you guessing.

One day, she crafted a beautiful dagger in their armory. The Elves used finer metals than the Dwarves. Ones that were light, elegant, deadly, nearly indestructible. The Dwarves preferred durable metals that held weight to them, that didn't mind wear and tear, and were meant to be expendable in certain situations or easily handled by another warrior. A few of the blacksmiths even watched Linnéa craft the fine weapon and she gifted it to one. As a thanks for their permission to use a part of their space.

Her visit though was drawing to a close. In a few days she'd return to Erebor. Then the king had a decision to make. Whether to allow her to enter his kingdom again at a later time and allow the princess to pass through his lands on her travels without issue. Or close off his borders once again because after all of the formalities and all that went well, it wasn't worth forming an understanding with the eventual ruler of Erebor. These questions King Thranduil continued to mull over the longer the visit went.

A figure entered the hall further ahead, seeing Linnéa walking alone. She appeared to be a little lost as the princess peered around the corners of the halls.

"Looking for something?" the king questioned.

Her head turned, a smile gracing her lips. "The gardens," she answered. "Prince Legolas said they were a beauty to behold."

"That they are. I am surprised my son isn't guiding you."

"He was, but was called away to handle something along the wall. Though I may have taken a wrong turn."

"You did, but are not far off. Follow me."

Linnéa appeared a bit surprised that the king would personally lead her to the desired destination. Though she fell in line beside him.

"Have you been enjoying your time here?" he wondered.

"I am," Linnéa answered honestly.

"Not being in the Mountain doesn't bother you?"

"Not in the slightest. Moving from place to place, while calling Erebor my home has always been my way of life."

"When you take the throne, you will be forced to stay within the walls. And you will not be allowed to travel freely like you have with the Fellowship."

"I know. Which is why I did as much as possible when I was a princess to not have any regrets. I understand perfectly well what comes with sitting on the throne. The roles I must fill. But that doesn't mean I will remain locked to them until the day I die. Every ruler is allowed some leniency to have some freedom without always being flanked by guards or attendants. If one stays chained too long without relief they are bound to retaliate or rebel in some way, shape, or form."