Chapter 6

Aragorn sighed heavily to himself, rolling over on his mat with open eyes. The lighting in the room was dim yet he could still make out the figures sleeping throughout the space. It was easy to know where Gimli lay based on the rather loud snores escaping him only a few feet away. But that's not what kept the Ranger awake. He should be resting more given the recent events. Yet something bothered him and the man did know what or why. It felt as though he was waiting for an attack to occur. Or something dark to approach. Aragorn finally gave up trying to rest once more and stood to leave.

The cool breeze beyond the walls was a welcome as the light of the moon lit up Edoras and the lands surrounding them. One could clearly see if anything was coming. Yet it lay completely void of any danger. Still, he didn't feel convinced. Glancing around the walkway Strider realized that he wasn't the only one awake. The familiar figures of the prince and princess stood beyond the overhang of the roof fully bathed in the moonlight with their backs to him at he approached. Neither of them looked in his direction or even properly greeted him like they normally would. Aragorn stared out over the horizon trying to see what they were looking at.

"The stars are veiled," Legolas finally spoke. "Something stirs in the East. A sleepless malice."

Even Linnéa admitted that she felt something growing in the last hour. Since their conversation neither spoke a word and the two stood in a comfortable silence. But as the minutes ticked by she noticed the air shifting around them. A subtle glance in the Elf's direction made her realize that she wasn't the only one when their eyes met. Neither said a word turning back to look over Rohan because they didn't know what it was that was out there. At first. Legolas slowly grew aware of what was lurking.

"The Eye of the enemy is moving," the prince said.

Now that was not something the young woman wished to hear. "Is it another Orc attack?" she wondered.

"No, this is different."

Fingers flexing the princess now wished she brought along her ax for protection or even a dagger. Suddenly the pressure in the air increased tenfold around them. Their shoulders tensed and they turned to look at each other with wide eyes.

"He is here," Legolas said.

Immediately, Aragorn was running with Legolas and Linnéa quickly at his heels. They didn't care if they were loud, throwing open the front doors and with heavy footfalls rushed towards their sleeping quarters. Linnéa barely even saw Éowyn resting on a cushioned surface near the low burning hearth when they finally came to the familiar hall.

A frantic shout came from the other side of the door, "Help!" that had them picking up their pace.

"That's Merry!" Linnéa stated.

"Gandalf, help!"

Strider reached for the handle while simultaneously throwing a shoulder against the wooden surface. The force made it opening swiftly as they quickly looked around the room to survey the situation. Gandalf, who slept closer to the door, sprung up from his bed wide awake, gripping the item to his chest that he had been guarding. However, he quickly realized that it had been switched out.

All eyes turned to Pippin withering on the floor in the center of the room. But it was what was in his grasp that had all of them alarmed. The black orb that once belonged to Saruman now glowed brightly like a blazing fire with a black slit running down the center where the Eye clearly stared back at the Hobbit. Black Speech echoed in the room as everyone else woke up with a start. Aragorn reacted first. The Ranger lunged forward, reaching for the orb.