Chapter 10

There was no rest for the four of them, using what little moonlight managed to come through the high peaks of the mountains. Aragorn led them through the winding path at a slow walk so they did not run into anything or cause the horses to stumble. Coaxing the stallion forward, Linnéa rode up alongside the Ranger.

"You have questions," he said, knowing what was coming.

"Are you going to explain to us what this is all about?" Linnéa questioned. "All we know is that a stranger came to camp to convince you to travel the road to Dimholt. I think I speak for all of us that knowing what we're heading into is better than walking in blind."

"Our visitor was Lord Elrond," the Ranger answered. Their eyes went wide. "He brought with him the reforged sword, Narsil, from Rivendell."

"How was it reforged?" Linnéa questioned. "It was broken when your predecessor fought Sauron. There was a time when my mother examined the pieces during one of our travels and she even said making it whole once more would not be possible in its current condition."

"Somehow, the Elves found a way. Having it is the only way to command the Army of the Dead."

"Why the sudden interest in them?"

"We do not have enough numbers to protect Gondar. With the dead on our side we have a chance."

"Desperate times call for desperate measures, I guess..."

"Now wait just a moment," Gimli spoke up. "You mean to tell me we are going to the Path of the Dead to summon the Men of Dunharrow?"

"That is the plan," Aragorn said.

"Well, that's just great then. Splendid idea. Except for the fact that none have ever returned when seeking their alliance!"

"We have the sword."

"But only one!"

"It was never meant to be constructed into many, Gimli," Linnéa stated. "Even once broken. Only the heir to Gondor is worthy enough to wield it. It would be useless in our possession."

Still, the princess had to admit that it was terrifying where they were headed. She muttered to Strider, "I hope you know what you're doing."

"I told you not to come," he said with a smirk.

"Well... on the bright side if we all die I can haunt you for eternity."

"Why doesn't that surprise me...?"

Morning finally came to the White Mountains allowing them to pick up their pace. The road before them began to split every few miles. It would be very easy for one to become lost.

"What kind of army would linger in such a place?" Gimli questioned.

"One that is cursed," Legolas said. "Long ago, the Men of the Mountain wore an oath, to the last King of Gondor to come to his aid, to fight. But when the time came, when Gondor's need was dire they fled, vanishing into the darkness of the mountain. And so Isildur cursed them never to rest until they had fulfilled their pledge."

Another rush of cold air came over them.

"Who shall call them from the gray twilight? The forgotten people? The heir to whom the oath they swore. From the North shall he come. Need shall drive him. He shall pass the door to the Paths of the Dead."

"We are nearly there," Aragorn announced.

Climbing a small hill the path narrowed. Dead trees lined the way forcing them to dismount from the low branches and led the animals by the reins. Finally, they came to an open stone doorway that appeared worn from age with markings carved into the surface around the frame. Skulls perched on the rocks around them, stacking on top of each other in a foreboding manner. The chill in the air grew the closer they walked, feeling unsettled by the dark shadows which dwelled inside.

"The very warmth of my blood seems stolen away," Gimli breathed.

"The way is shut," Legolas read. "It was made by those who are dead. And the dead keep it. The way is shut."

Suddenly, the doorway seemed to breathe out. A loud gust hit them and forced the four to stand their ground. The horses brayed loudly, jerking from their grip to run back the way they came. Legolas and Aragorn tried to give chase, but it was no use. They were completely out of sight in seconds

"Brego!" Aragorn called out.

They were stranded.

Turning back towards the doorway a fog seemed to crawl out from the mountain surrounding their feet in an ominous manner.

"This does not look good," Linnéa muttered, pulling free her ax.

"I do not fear death," Aragorn stated.

Removing his sword, the Ranger stalked inside without hesitation. The darkness swallowed him up. Legolas followed swiftly after.

"Well, this is a thing unheard of," Gimli gaped. "An Elf will go underground where a Dwarf dare not?"

Linnéa took a breath before rushing in.

"Oh. Oh, I'll never hear the end of it..." the warrior trailed off.

Without any say on the matter, Gimli jogged inside to catch up to the others.