-4-

Impulsive

The overwhelming buzz of the great hall surrounded me as I picked away at my mash potato at dinner

The overwhelming buzz of the great hall surrounded me as I picked away at my mash potato at dinner. My eyes narrowed as I felt the presence of someone beside me.
As I glanced to the side I noticed it was Willow, one of the girls from my dorm, and Ophelia, who sat across from me.

They both gave warm smiles towards my cold face and they too began to scoop peas and meat from the centre of the Slytherin table.

Over the course of that meal I became aquatinted with the two witches. And I couldn't help but be mesmerised by Ophelia's long golden curls, cascading over her petite shoulders and be comforted by Willows kind brown eyes.

They were not like what I had expected. My mind automatically assumed they would be snobbish and cold. The entire wizarding world knew of my time on the run, many resented me for it, turned their noses up at my insolence and disrespect for the Pureblood way of life. They were both from two very wealthy households, the foundations of their families built upon pureblood beliefs.

Not these girls however. They were welcoming and kind. And were easy to converse with.

And over this one meal, I couldn't believe it, I was making friends. Something I was not rather familiar with. Being alone was my comfort. What I was used to. The fact that these two witches actually listened to me, heard what I had to say in conversation, was a new experience. My childhood was filled with one sentence conversations with my father. Or being forbidden to speak infront of guests, for fear I might say something deemed as wild and lawless.

Even later in the evening as we sat by the fire in the common room, a simple game of cards being played between us, I was still unaccustomed with their friendly words. They even asked questions. About me. Personally. Not about my family or the rules of society I have been so defiant to break. They asked about my interests, my hobbies. My likes and dislikes, my studies and music opinions.

The comforting smell of the burning firewood filled my senses and the conversation was as warm as the dancing flame before us.

"And then I fell of my broom infront of everyone," Ophelia continued with her tragic first flying lesson, sending us into fits of giggles.

Their stories really brought to my attention how little of a childhood I had had. I was forbidden from flying as it was seen as not 'lady like', I had never had a slumber party with my friends, I didn't even have friends to begin with. I had never hugged my grandparents and had them sneak me sweets before dinner. I had never played games with my family or danced about the kitchen to the music of the radio. Never even worn sweatpants or trainers.

Everything was so formal. So dignified.

I had to curtesy to my grandparents, as they were a Duke and Duchess. My wardrobe contained only frilly frocks and delicate pumps, that I continuously ruined in the garden, until the age of 14. My sister and I were taught about how the Emerald Estate was run, and how our family was the highest of them all at the mere age of 10. We were taught about how the Pureblood line must be continued for all to be well, and that anyone not of Pureblood heritage was worthless and a disgrace to the wizarding world.