-45-

Shoes of a different perspective

"Are you crying?" Malfoy sighed humorously from his position on the bed, he sat up on his elbows, his eyes moving lazily in their sockets

"Yes. Yes of course I'm crying! I thought I'd lost you Draco. I thought you were dead. So wipe that smirk of your face." I scowled at the blonde who seemed far too pleased with himself in this moment. I thought he was dead and he finds it almost...funny.

"You know..." Draco spoke slowly after a moment, his words quiet and breathy. "When I first met you...you were so cold, ...so, so sharp and closed off. You were so fixed on not letting anyone into that icy heart of yours. And now look at you..." He lulled his head to the side drowsily.

"I guess we've both melted." The blonde murmured.

"I guess I have something to care for now." My words were quiet, but he could hear them all the same. Now I was not so utterly selfish.

I was embarrassed by how much this fickle boy had managed to change me.

"What happened Malfoy?" I spoke after a second of silence sheared between the two of us. A second to contemplate how much things had changed. Everything had changed.

"I took a shit load of pills." The blonde said so quietly I almost missed it.

"Pills? What pills Malfoy?"

"Ones I got off Crabbe, why does it matter..." Draco sat up, now aware of his vulnerability. The boy straightened his tie almost awkwardly.

"Drugs...Malfoy really....don't you understand... we had to drag you, soaking wet out of that bathroom. We thought you were gone." My throat closed up but I was determined to push my heavy words out. How dare he. How dare he be so inconsiderate that he didn't even understand the true weight of his actions.

"I was only trying to...I..I take some, sometimes...when it gets too much...and I don't know...everything was too much." His eyes shied away from my worried glare.

I grasped my hand over my mouth. Vile formed in my throat. It was hideous.

"I wasn't trying to top myself!" Malfoy stated urgently in response to my reaction. He stood up, stepping towards me but I stepped back. It was as though he was a stranger to me, I didn't recognise him. He had a way of doing that, turning off who he really was, becoming unrecognisable. Like a chameleon, changing its skin to blend into its surroundings, masked from danger.  

"I only wanted to feel..." He stopped himself. Again, he could never give that much away, even to the girl who cared for him most in the world.

I shook my head slowly. "Malfoy...." 

"Please Emerald...." He scoffed almost dismissively, reaching into his bedside drawer and pulling out a packet of cigarettes. He placed one between his cold lips. "We're all addicted to something that ruins us." He stuck a match, lighting his cigarette with it, before shaking his hand gently to put out the flame.