-11-

Dissension

The Christmas holidays were drawing closer and the grounds of Hogwarts were blanketed in frothy white

I was so joyous at the prospect of staying at Hogwarts for the holidays, finally a quiet Christmas not situated around those who just tolerate me and gift me too many over priced, impractical gifts that are meaningless.

I remember one year I had asked for a pair of trousers, to wear when playing in the garden and swinging on my rope swing. My parents were appalled and completely horrified at my request.

You see, frills and petticoats were not suitable for the exciting, outdoor adventures I wished to obtain in my youth. No. Everything was about being proper and presentable.

"Are you going to stand about all day, or actually help us with the decorations Emerald?" Theo Notts monotone and fed up voice interrupted my vivid image of 9 year old me climbing the large oak by the stream, in the Emerald forest.

Snapping quickly back into the present, I looked around me. Instead of Flitwicks usual charms class, the Slytherin and Hufflepuffs were to help decorate the Great Hall for the up and coming season.

"I'm far more helpful than you Nott. All you've done since we set up the tree is terrorise the poor Hufflepuffs." I scowled at him as he transfigured another one of the baubles, a yellow tied boy was holding, into a small slithering snake. It wriggled in the boys hand for a moment before he shrieked and dropped it, just as it turned back to the shiny, round red bauble and then smashed on the flagstone floor.

Rolling my eyes, I tutted and gave Nott an aggrieved scowl.

Using my wand to lift the baubles onto the large tree before me, I looked around at the Slytherin students, most of whom were chatting and gossiping. Allowing the Hufflepuffs to do the majority of the work, however doing their bests to make it as hard for them as possible.

Among them, my sister, complaining about the school forcing her to do hard labour, and I couldn't help but laugh as Pansy and Daphne agreed with her and soothingly rubbed her back in comfort.

The entire hall looked spectacular, the tree towered over me is as I looked up at it. It was decorated in red and Green ornaments, with a gold star, that I had bewitched to sparkle, at the very top.

"Looks shit...Suppose that's your doing then."

A smile grew onto my face as Malfoy's voice sounded next to me. In my peripheral, I could see him standing next to me, arms crossed, usual obnoxiously bored expression plastered across his features as he stood next to me.

Both of our eyes fixed on admiring the magnificent tree, I could hear him breathing as he stood there, next to each other just for a moment.

"Im actually trying to enjoy Christmas for once. Don't be a prat and spoil it." I snapped after a tense pause. My words causing him his hitch his breath slightly and his smug face to faulted a little.