-54-

Birthday wish

-Lyra Emerald-

-Lyra Emerald-

"Emerald" someone whispered, a familiar voice that comforted me beyond belief. A voice that was cold and harsh to some, but not to me. To me it was smooth, and cool like a caressing breeze that filled sails, sails that took you calmly across the world.

My groggy eyes opened slowly, and for the first time in days, there weren't sore with tears as they took in their surroundings.

"Emerald." Draco's voice was almost song like as he stood at my bedside, his smile gleaming from ear to ear. I scratched my forehead sheepishly, almost confused by his sudden mood change. We had hardly spoken the past week. I hadn't spoken to anyone.

"Wake up."

Finally, I sat up in the bed, rubbing my tired eyes, my hair sticking out in all directions; it has not been brushed in a week. I didn't have the energy. A smile grew on my face as he sat at the edge of the bed, still in his long winter coat, with his collar slightly raised. My smile felt almost foreign from the days of grief that had just solemnly passed. It disappeared almost instantly as the weight of Fabians death fell upon my shoulders once more, like a dark mist descending, with the sole purpose to unintentionally ruin any happiness I could experience at this time. He wouldn't want to bare down on me like this, but we all have our ways for resolving loss and mine was not letting it go.

Draco had been out. Again. Without telling me. And my heart sunk slightly, as I wondered what was about to be spoken.

Trying to push the sadness that was routed in me aside for a moment, the smile returned.  All I could do was look at the pile of books in his hand. Boy, he was so pleased with himself, so pure that all resentment, all pain, melted away like morning frost when the sun finally awakes, only for these few minutes that we shared.

"Happy birthday," he said as he handed me the present.

"How did you-"

"Shut up and take it Emerald."

Slowly, I undid the satin green ribbon that was wrapped around the three precious books, my smile never leaving my face as I did so. It was the first time in days I had managed to be happy for this long.

The first book in the pile was beautiful. Bound in white leather, smooth and pure, with pink and gold flowers embellishing the spine.

A Midsummer Night's Dream
By William Shakespeare

Was imprinted in the middle of the cover, the gold letters staring back up at me proudly. The second book in the pile was deep blue bound, with beautiful red letters that read;

Twelfth Night

And I smiled at the last one which was black as night, with harsh red letters that if could speak, would sound aggressive yet strong.