-14-

Authors note: this chap is a wee bit longer than some so grab a cuppa and get comfy!
Hope you all enjoy and please feel free to VOTE and COMMENT💚💚💚

Illusion

With my hand slightly shaking, I reached for the silver, embellished doorknob before me

With my hand slightly shaking, I reached for the silver, embellished doorknob before me. I could hear the loud chatter of conversing guests and the clink of dainty heels on the ballroom floor. Tossing a stray curl behind my shoulder, I tried to compose myself. Tonight was going to test my patience to the brink.

I took a deep breath in. Judgement and snobbish remarks lay behind that door, and no matter how much I wanted to run down to the stream or remain hidden in my room, there was no escaping the fate that awaited me tonight.

After a long exhale, I pushed open the heavy, grand door that lead to the ball room. It had been years since I had been in here. The paned, glass windows, that lay on either side of the room, let in the last slither of December daylight, which twinkled on a large ice sculpture of a twisting snake, situated in the very centre of the ballroom. Typical.

My eyes scanned the magnificent hall, drinks were being served from the bar in the corner and floating candles lit up the elaborate room. The ballroom was already very busy and I recognised a few annoyingly familiar faces.

Nervously, I gripped onto the banister, praying to Merlin that I did not slip on my way down the stairs. Walking in high heels was something I was not accustomed to, and making a fool out of myself before the night had even begun did not appeal to me in the slightest.

As my dainty, silver heels clipped the marble stairs, my emerald green, satin dress trailed behind me and my auburn curls, which I had pinned back with a silver clasp, fluttered gently as I took each step. I wasn't surprised my mother had insisted on dressing me in this colour, I caught a glimpse of Astra who had also been dressed in a darker, forest green gown with more ruffles and sequins. Mine was simple, light and elegant thankfully. Low cut at the back, and front, I felt rather exposed waking down into the buzzing ballroom, however I was far too concentrated on not tripping up on my floor length gown, to notice everyone's eyes falling upon myself. Flitting my gaze across the hall an icy blonde head of hair was the first thing my eyes fell upon. I noticed Astra with Pansy and Daphne Greengrass, her parents not too far behind. Blaise and Theo both turned from their conversation with Malfoy as I cascaded down the marble steps, Malfoy's piercing, stormy eyes where first to meet mine. His gaze falling up and down my figure in my flawless, figure hugging dress, a small smirk appearing on his face when his eyes raised back up to connect with my emerald green irises.

My mother met me at the bottom of the staircase and immediately I was swept away to be introduced to some wealthy, rich family, my eye contact with Malfoy still remaining as I was hurried off. As she sped me across the hall, I couldn't help but notice the many eyes glaring at me.