-28-

The unconcluded

'SIRIUS BLACK DEAD AND MORE INJURED AT MINISTRY OF MAGIC AFTER DEATH EATER ATTACK

'SIRIUS BLACK DEAD AND MORE INJURED AT MINISTRY OF MAGIC AFTER DEATH EATER ATTACK.'

The Daily Prophet headline glared at me from the breakfast table. A knot formed in my gut, sickly twisting as I looked up at Fabian.

He grimaced awkwardly as I handed him the morning paper before returning to my porridge. He shuffled through the pages hastily, uncomfortable with the words. Perhaps he knew something I didn't.

"Ghastly that isn't it." Willow sighed. "Absolutely ghastly, poor Harry."

"Poor sod." Taurus added grimly. I didn't have the heart to tell him his uncle was probably there. Fabian looked at me again, guiltily, before shaking his head slightly, a warning to not say a word. Maybe he already knew, maybe he didn't.

It was moments like these that made me realise what the actual fuck was happening.

'We can't keep pretending like everything isn't changing Emerald, like we aren't just heading for an fucking explosion, An explosion that you are a part of.' Malfoy's irked words rang through my hollow mind, taking me back to the lake where he uttered them, yet also to my first death eater meeting where the Dark Lord pondered on my role.

Malfoy was right; I was trying to act like it all didn't exist, like I wasn't wanted at Lord Voldemort's side.

As I idly stirred my oats around, Malfoy's ring caught my eye on my little finger. I pictured us sat at the table in Malfoy Manor, the promise we made to one another. A lump formed in my throat at the realisation that had just occurred.

•••

Nervously, I gripped Adrians arm. I was utterly overwhelmed as the two of us entered the Great Hall. Pastel ribbons of pink and blue where tied to the tables and chairs around the outside of the hall and vivid green and yellow banners were hung from the walls and ceiling along with garlands of spring flowers, bright and wonderful. There were fireflies fluttering in glass jars that hung around the hall, lighting up the room like tiny, glowing lightbulbs. Bluebells lined the dance floor while tulips bordered the pathway to the tables. Bewitched daffodils sang to whoever entered the hall and the whole place smelt sweet like April rain.

Everything was so beautiful, yet my mind was still with Malfoy and the terms that we had left on.

"Would you like a refreshment Miss Emerald?" Pucey gestured towards the drinks table. I nodded politely as I graciously took his arm. It felt natural, being at a ball with him, it was all we knew, what we were accustomed to.

The brunette poured me a glass of punch, which I sipped, it had been a while since I had worn my 'lady-like' shoes, I had almost forgotten what it was like to be a princess.
I also noticed Fabian standing with Nott, the two boys eyes on the opposite side of the hall. Turning to look I noticed Willow and Hermione chatting away on the far side by the door. I sighed, hopefully they would have a chance to dance together later on.