Chapter 12

Johnny's POV

"Mr. Jones?" I stood by my boss's office door, "I finished everything on my list. Would it be alright if I clocked out early?"

"Everything alright, Son?" He seemed concerned, but it was probably all an act. Nobody really cared about me, except maybe the gang.

"My friend is in the hospital and I was hoping to go visit her." I hadn't been able to see Phaedra as much as I wanted too.

"Is she ok?"

I sighed and ran my hand through my hair, "she will be. She got hurt real bad."

"Are you talking Annmarie Delaney?" He pulled out a newspaper. There was a full page story on her, talking about the attack and recovery details.

I sighed and shook my head, "naw." I knew there would be no article on Phaedra. The fuzz wouldn't have even talked to her if the Delany girl hadn't been attacked, "nobody cares a greaser girl got hurt." I tried to sound uncaring like Dally taught me too.

Mr. Jones nodded, "take the next few days off with pay. Your friend needs you."

My mouth dropped, "are you sure?"

"You're one of the best employees I got. You're allowed to take a day or two off." He shook my hand.

I thanked him again and headed to the hospital.

I walked into her room. She was sleeping. It hurt to see the bruises on her face. The bandage still covered the stitches. I was surprised that she was alone.

I sat next to her, "hey Phae," I took her hand and kissed her knuckles, "I have to tell ya, when I heard what happened, I was so scared, scared for you, scared to lose you." I felt myself choke up, "I love you, Phaedra. I've loved you since the day I met you." I leaned over and kissed the top of her head.

Steve's POV

Two-Bit and I crashed at Two-Bit's house after the council. We had gotten Dally to bed; man was he ever messed up. I laid on the couch in Two-Bit's room. I couldn't stop thinking about everything that happened this past week. My brain felt like it had tiny tornadoes swirling around in it. The Black Cobras were one, Phaedra another tornado, Miller and the Street Tigers, the Brumley's, Shepard's, and River Kings another one, and Sodapop. I hadn't seen him since I kissed him. Why the fuck did I kiss him? I'm not gay...there's just a lot going on. Yeah...just a lot going on. I rolled over and closed my eyes. I had to work tomorrow and then go to the hospital. I needed to make sure that me and Soda were good.

Pony's POV

Phaedra woke up the next morning. She was starting to feel better. Darry and Soda were outside talking to the doctor, the fuzz, and another couple. Phaedra touched my hand, "Pone," I looked up at her; her eyes desperate, "what's wrong with my face? No one is telling me."

I closed my book and held her hand, "Phaedra, I don't know what's wrong." I lied.

Anger flashed through her eyes, "don't you dare insult my intelligence!" She glared at me, "I know when you're lying."

I took her hand, "I'll tell you, but you cannot freak out or they'll sedate you again. Darry and Soda will kill me." Her bandage was starting to peel off anyway, so I help her pull it off. I gasped, not prepared to see the jagged cut the ran down her face. She was going to have one hell of a scar.

She brought her hand to her cheek, "I can't feel my cheek." The fear in her eyes was intense, "let me see!"

I went into the bathroom and found a handheld mirror, "Phaedra, it's not as bad as it looks...when you got cut," her eyes widened with fear, "the muscles and nerves got damaged. The reason you have no feeling and you can't open your mouth all the way is because half your face is paralyzed."

A tear ran down her face as I handed her the mirror. She trembled as she brought it up to her face. She ran her fingers down her cheek, horror in her eyes. She touched the corner of her mouth. It drooped a little, as if in a constant frown. I hadn't noticed that before.

She chucked the mirror as hard as she could. It shattered as it crashed into the wall. I tried to hold her, but she shoved me away, "get out!" She hissed at me.

"Phaedra?" I felt so helpless.

"Get the fuck out of my room! I don't want anyone in here!" She screamed at me, she never screamed at me before. We've never even really fought before.

"Phaedra?"

"GET OUT!" I started backing up, "FUCK ALL OF THIS!" She broke down, pulled the blanket over her head and sobbed.

Tears pricked my eye, I backed into the wall and slid down. I pulled my knees up to my chest, and bawled into them. I didn't know what to do. If I couldn't help my twin, no one could.