Chapter 42

"We need to get him to the Tree of Life!" Nirmala told them suddenly, seeming to ignore his mysterious warning of danger. "And hurry, he's bleeding a lot!"

"I can carry him," Beshte offered.

"That'd be great," Nirmala said and gently picked Kion up, the rest of the Guard -including Fuli- offering to help.

"Agh..," Kion groaned, obviously trying his best to hide it.

Nirmala and the Guard lifted him onto Beshte, still bleeding.

"Okay, now hurry!" Nirmala ordered.

"Got it." Beshte started to run. The rest of the Guard and Nirmala broke into a run to keep up.

Fear pulsed through Fuli's veins. What's gonna happen to him now?!

"Argh..." Kion grunted in pain, still bleeding severely onto Beshte. The hippo didn't seem to mind however. He was too worried about his best friend to complain.

Fuli saw that Kion's eyes were wild and he stayed as still as possible. 

"Kion, it's all gonna be okay," she gently reassured. But what if it isn't?...

He coughed and raised his head. "Thanks Fuli." He paused and looked worriedly at her. Fuli guessed that he saw how worried and stressed she was. "Don't worry Fuli," he said softly, resting his head back onto Beshte's back and looking at her with the most reassuring gaze he could have at that moment. "I'll be okay." Fuli knew that he was just trying to reassure her.. and that he himself doubted if he was going to be alright. Beyond the reassuringness, Fuli knew he was trying to hide his own fear. The emotion itself could be seen in the depths of his gaze.

"Don't worry, I know." Fuli had to force those words out of her mouth. Truth was, she didn't know. In fact, she was doubtful that he'd be okay. But she couldn't tell him that.

Soon, Fuli felt shorter grass under her paws. Her eyes could ever so slightly make out a large, shadowy figure. It had a large trunk and branches. Fuli knew that they were nearing the Tree of Life. 

They drew closer to the majestic figure and soon got to the cavern-like entrance. The dim light of the moon and stars that lit their way disappeared but was soon replaced by glowing green mushrooms.

In the space was a rock with Queen Janna laying on it, a calm expression on her face.

"Hello Fuli. You're back, I see," Janna said, greeting her with a smile. Her smile instantly disappeared when her gaze made it's way to Kion who was on Beshte's back, bleeding.

"Bring him here," Janna instructed. Beshte obeyed and dipped his head to allow Nirmala to lift Kion off of him and onto the rock. "Now Fuli, you say he's been waking up screaming, his scar bleeds, he's been coughing up blood, he's been flinching all day and is frightened all the time, and hurting himself?"

Fuli took in a breath. "Yes."

Janna frowned at the sorry sight of the young lion and lifted her paw to touch Kion's forehead. Fuli could feel the calm yet worried aura around the queen.

"Tree of Life, glorious Tree of Life, show me what has haunted this young lion."

The Tree's roots started to glow red. Fuli's eyes widened. Even though she had seen this happen with Ono, it didn't fail to astound her again.

But unlike the last time, a spark came from the roots and landed onto Kion's forehead, surprising her.

Kion's eyes started to glow green. Then amber. Then red. The colors started flashing. Then they flashed between the different colors fast. And faster. And even faster.