Chapter 13

Fuli blinked open her eyes. It was late morning, she realized. She turned around and saw Kion sleeping peacefully beside her. I'll let him sleep. This is the best sleep he's ever gotten in weeks. She thought to herself. She rose to her paws and stretched. Not long after, Gozi woke up.

"Hiya Fuli! Good morning!" He said. "I'm going hunting, catch ya later!" He then sped off out of the den. Not long after, Kion began to stir. He finally opened his eyes.

"Good morning, sleepyhead. Or should I say, afternoon?" Fuli playfully ruffled his mane, well, a still-growing mane. "You've been sleeping all morning. The sun is on the peak of it's path now."

"Huh?" Kion asked. He shook his head. He's not fully waken up I guess. Kion yawned and rubbed his eyes with his paw. He then got to his paws and stretched. "Fuli? I think we should continue the journey to the Tree of Life today."

"Yeah," Fuli agreed. She looked at Kion who was now starting to paw at his scar. She felt a stab of pity for him. He didn't deserve this. "Let's wait for Gozi to get back, he's already out hunting," she told him. Kion's ears fell flat the moment she mentioned that, though she could see he tried his best to hide it. They then heard a scream outside.

"Fuli! Kion! Help me!" The voice shouted. It was Gozi. "Oh no!" Fuli exclaimed. Her and Kion rushed out of the den and followed Gozi's voice. "Someone help!" Fuli and Kion kept running towards Gozi.

When they got there, Fuli was horrified. She saw her father, mother, and a bunch of cheetahs surround Gozi. The cheetahs prevented Gozi from escaping while her mother had Gozi pinned and her father was repeatedly clawing and slashing him.

"This is your punishment for attempting to escape Swift's Clan!" Her father yelled. Her mother smirked at the helpless cheetah below her. "Let me go!" Gozi screamed. That earned him a slash on the underbelly from her father. No!

Kion leaped into the group of cheetahs, clawing his way in. He pounced on her mother pinning her to the ground. Fuli followed him, tackling her father and pinning him also.

"Fuli?! What are you doing?!" Mwepesi snarled. "I'm saving my friend!" She shouted back. Mwepesi quickly flipped their positions and pinned Fuli. She looked to the left and saw that Kion was also pinned by her mother and two other cheetahs. Gozi was held in one place by five cheetahs.

"You're coming with us," Mwepesi snarled at Kion. "Fuli, Gozi, you too." The group of fifteen cheetahs that we're there herded Kion, Fuli, and Gozi back into Swift's Clan territory. Kion gave Fuli an anxious glance. She rested her tail-tip on his shoulder in a comforting gesture. "Everything will be okay," she murmured. Though even she wasn't sure if her words were true.

When they got to the Swift's Clan camp, all the cheetahs turned to look at Kion.

"A lion!" One exclaimed.

"Chase it off!" Another yelled.

"No, don't chase it off. Kill it!" Another shouted. Kion flattened his ears. He almost seemed to shrink behind Fuli as the cheetahs continued shouting. "Kill it! Kill it!" The fifteen cheetahs surrounding Kion and Fuli herded them to Fuli's den when she stayed in Swift's Clan. They shoved all three of them in the tiny den.

"And that lion," Mwepesi spat. "Will be executed and killed in ten days time." Kion gasped. Fuli moved protectively in front of Kion. "Cheetahs, guard the cave carefully. We don't want anyone trying to escape." The fifteen cheetahs that were surrounding Kion, Fuli, and Gozi, went back to the edge of the cave. Kion hid behind Fuli, shivering at what Mwepesi just said.

"Kion, I won't let them hurt you." Passion and fiery determination burned in Fuli's voice. She wouldn't lose Kion, no matter what. "Same for you, Gozi. I won't let them hurt you." Gozi stood tall despite being attacked earlier.