Chapter 56

"Kion, is your leg hurting?"

"For the last time, I'm fine! I didn't twist it that bad when I ran through the storm!" Kion told her, a little annoyance showing in his voice. He got to his paws and reached out his foreleg, stretching it so she could see. "See? I'm fine!"

"You twisted it bad enough that you couldn't get up if your life depended on it," Fuli reminded him, sitting down and examining his foreleg.

"Well you have a point but-"

"It could be sore or scraped or bruised and you're hiding the pain or-"

"Fuli!" Kion cut her off with a chuckle. "You don't have to worry so much."

"Yes I do," Fuli told him firmly. She stopped examining his foreleg and looked him in the eyes. "These days every time I leave you alone something bad happens. You could take care of yourself back in the Pride Lands but now.. so much has happened to you and I fear..." She broke off for a moment then recomposed herself. "I fear that if I'm not always around to protect you, something bad might happen to you like it always does."

Kion looked down at his paws. "I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt you."

"Don't feel bad. None of this was your fault. And Kion, there's something I wanna talk about," Fuli said, licking a paw and drawing it over her face.

"What is it?" Kion asked, looking back up at her tilting his head to the side.

"You remember when I told you I love you?"

"Yeah?"

"Well... I was thinking we could talk about that now, now that you're..." Fuli trailed off. She couldn't find the right word to say.

"No need to keep it polite, Fuli. I know what happened," Kion said. "And yeah, I think we should talk about that too."

"So I know this might sound awkward but..." Fuli's face looked awkward too as she said that, "how do you feel about me? I know you told me you loved me while... you know what happened, but now that you're in your right mind, I want to ask you this."

"Well I do have feelings for you," Kion stated openly, laying down and easing himself into a comfortable position. "Just..."

"Just what?" Fuli asked when he trailed off.

"What will everyone else think of us?" Kion asked softly. "We'll be judged and looked down upon, won't we?"

Fuli's face softened. "Yes, that's bound to happen. But that doesn't mean it has to stop us."

"I guess... I just don't want us to be constantly harassed and picked on after all that's happened. Honestly I just want to live a nice and peaceful life..." He raised his gaze to meet hers. "...with you."

"Me too. No worries, no troubles, just you and me and the rest of our friends," Fuli agreed, laying down next to him. "Just like..."

"...Hakuna Matata," Kion finished. "I miss that. When we get back to the Pride Lands I just wanna..." Kion trailed off. His thought wouldn't please Fuli.

"Wanna what?" Fuli asked after he didn't say anything for a few moments.

"I don't really think you'll like it," Kion told her nervously.

"We're having an honest talk. A heart to heart. Just say what you're about say," Fuli encouraged, motioning with her forepaw for him to speak.

Kion sighed reluctantly. "I know I'm young but..."

"But what?"

"I wanna retire from the Lion Guard. I just don't have the energy left in me anymore. I just wanna relax and live a peaceful rest of my life." He let out a sigh. "I want to find peace."

"I do too. Say, how about when we go back to the Pride Lands we figure something out. I don't want to be on the Guard anymore either. It's too stressful and too straining. Besides, there are probably a lot of perfectly capable animals that could replace us."

"Yeah. But lets get back on topic. Do we start a relationship?" Kion asked.

I can't. I could never do that to him or myself. He would be living a lie and I LET him live the lie...

Fuli looked away. "I can't."

"Why not?"

"I can't because I could never have you live a lie," Fuli sobbed.

"Wait.... You don't.. love me..?" Kion asked shakily.

"No, not that," Fuli said quickly. "It's just...." She quickly ran away, sobbing. "Don't chase after me, I don't want you getting hurt!"