Chapter 21

Fuli... isn't the same cheetah she was when I met her. Now she's so... distant.

She used to be so lively and determined. Now her spirit seems... dead.

I know that her and Kion were very close, but I didn't think they were THIS close. Now, Fuli has cut herself off from her friends in her grief and sadness. I'm trying everything I possibly can to cheer her up, but it isn't working.

I hate to see her like this. She's like a sister to me. She protected me whenever I was in danger and comforted me whenever I was sad.

But the gravity of her love for Kion is becoming too strong for her to fight.

I know exactly how she feels. I felt the same way when Kupenda died.

"Gozi!" A voice shouted. Gozi quickly snapped out of his thoughts and looked up at Fuli. "We need to keep moving. Tree of Life, remember?"

"Yes, Fuli," Gozi stammered. She was already going through so much and he didn't want to upset her further. They and the rest of the Lion Guard kept walking.

Suddenly, Fuli perked her ears up, eyes scanning the open grasslands. "Fuli, what is it?" Gozi asked. 

Fuli's ears hung low. "Nothing. I just thought I heard... something." Gozi pitied both Fuli and Kion. Kion had died very young. Even worse, his death was very slow and painful due to his scar constantly causing pain and illness. As for Fuli, she was lost in her own despair and grief for Kion.

"Oh Kion... I wish things didn't turn out the way it did," Gozi heard Fuli mutter loudly. He didn't know how she would get through this. She has to. Gozi told himself. He didn't want to think the worse, but dark thoughts kept entering his mind. Please get through this, Fuli. Gozi made up his mind. No matter what happened, he'd always believe in her.

[FLASHBACK]

Gozi opened his eyes. Dawn was here. Another long day. He thought to himself negatively. He got to his paws and sighed. Kupenda was sleeping next to him. "Kupenda, wake up." He nudged her awake. The pretty cheetah blinked open her eyes and rose to her paws. "It's gonna be another long day," she sighed. The two cheetahs often thought alike.

"Hey Kupenda, what do you say we have a break from all this?" Gozi asked. "Sneak out tonight, return by dawn."

"Are you sure Gozi?"

"Sure I'm sure," he told her. "What could go wrong?"

"Uh, a lot of things," Kupenda replied. "Like-" 

She was cut off by Gozi. "C'mon Kupenda, we might not get a chance like this again. For just one night, we can have some freedom! We can freely run around the fields and play!"

"I don't know. What will happen if we're caught?" Kupenda asked.

"We won't be caught," Gozi reassured her. 

"How do you know?" She asked. 

"C'mon Kupenda, don't you want a taste of freedom?" He asked. 

Kupenda slowly nodded. "O-okay, let's do it."

XXXX
Mwepesi stood before Gozi and Kupenda, snarling. "Which one of you did it?!" He screamed at them. Gozi was shaking in fear. "I asked you a question! Answer it!" He screamed at the top of his lungs. Gozi froze in fear, unable to move or speak.

"WHO DID IT?!" He screeched. Gozi was frozen. "WHO'S IDEA WAS IT?!" Gozi was wide-eyed, still frozen in place.

"If no one admits to it, I will kill both of you. It's only safe that I kill whoever almost successfully escaped, so they don't share the idea," Mwepesi told them calmly. Gozi was wide-eyed. It's this my last day? What's going to happen?!