Chapter 5

The Lion Guard were still on the journey to the Tree of Life. Now, they had to find a Moja Kwa Moja stone that's a rock with a painting of the sunrise on it. Fuli walked near Kion, concerned. Kion had been acting very unwell in the past few days. Tossing and turning in his sleep, never feeling hungry or thirsty, and always tired. Fuli knew what was wrong. His scar. It was affecting him more than Fuli thought it would. She saw Kion suddenly stop and bring his paw up to his scar briefly, whimpering. Fuli looked on with pity.

She walked up to Kion. "Kion, are you okay?" She asked concerned, even though she knew the answer. He wasn't okay. 

"I'm fine, Fuli." Kion replied, his voice raspy. He then turned to look up and Fuli. When he did she saw his eyes, no longer bright and joyful, but cloudy and miserable. She then saw Kion try to hide a yawn. 

Tired again... Fuli thought to herself. "We can rest here if you like," Fuli said, motioning to an empty cave nearby. Kion shook his head.

"N-no I-I'm fine. I c-can keep going," Kion stuttered.

"Rephrase: You will rest here," Fuli told him dominantly. She was worried about his health and well-being. Kion was pushing himself too hard.

"No!" Kion protested. "I already told you I'm fine!" He then tried to stand up tall to prove it, but when he did Fuli saw his paws shaking. "Let's keep going," Kion said firmly. He then walked to the head of the group.

Fuli walked over to Makini. "Makini?" She asked. By now Makini knew what she meant when she asked her in that tone.

"Okay, Fuli. Tuliza coming up." She then looked at the gourd that she stored the Tuliza in. She frowned when she looked inside. "Um... I think we're out." Makini told her. Makini really needs to do a better job keeping track of the Tuliza.

Fuli walked towards the head of the group near Kion. She frowned when she saw his condition. His fur and mane were dirty and tangled. His eyes were cloudy. His head hung low. Fuli wished she could do something about it, she cared for the lion more than she even knew.

She then remembered something, the secret Nala told her. Oh, what I wouldn't give to tell Kion the truth. He deserves to know... but he isn't ready. He's going through so much right now... and telling him now would make everything A LOT worse.

'Kion is not my son.' Fuli replayed the words Nala told her in her head. She felt bad that Kion had never known his real mother and father, whoever they were. She knew that Nala was wrong to never tell Kion that her and Simba weren't his real parents. And Simba didn't even know himself! Fuli looked at Kion, she knew she would tell him the truth when the right time came.

Kion suddenly stopped. He swayed for a moment, then shook his head and pawed at his scar. Fuli walked up to him. "Are you okay Kion?" She asked, worried. He didn't answer. She saw his chest rise and fall in deep, labored breaths. "Kion?" She asked again, louder this time.

"I—I'm f-fine." He replied through a breath. He then continued walking. "Let's just get to the next Moja Kwa Moja stone." They then continued on.

"Anga-" Kion spoke through deep, labored breaths. "Do you see the-... next.. Moja Kwa Moja-... stone..?"

Anga flew up to get a better view. "Yep," the eagle replied. "Just past those hills over there." She motioned with her claw to some steep hills nearby.

"Okay-" He paused for a breath, "great." They then followed Anga to the steep hills and began to climb them.

"You suuuurrrre this is just a hill?" Bunga asked while struggling to climb it. "Seems more like a mountain to me." He then hopped onto Beshte's back, the latter struggling to climb the hill as well.