• 34 • publish, panic, and profess

' So, don't ever think I need more,

I've got the one to live for,

No one else will do, and I'm telling you,

Just put your heart in my hands'

--

Anne and Gilbert walked side-by-side in silence.

"What would you like to discuss?" Gilbert asked after five minutes of nothing happening.

"This is a topic only worthy for the story club hideaway." Anne said excitedly.

Despite her being weary about Gilbert's distraught composure and her nervousness over the letter, she was excited. Who knew what could this correspondence could contain?

When they finally arrived at the shack, Anne and Gilbert sat across from each other.

Anne handed the letter to him and he took it carefully, making sure he didn't tear or get any dirt on it.

"It's from Elizabeth Johnson of the Toronto Star." Anne watched as his eyes scanned the envelope, "It must be Miss Stacy's friend."

The walk and this news lifted Gilbert's spirit. He almost forgot his conversation with Winifred's father earlier in the day.

His eyes lit up, "About your article...why didn't you open it?"

Anne locked eyes with him, "I couldn't do it without you."

Gilbert gave her a small smile that made Anne's heart race. She could see an undeniable love in his eyes.

Tell him.

But she had more important matters to attend to, or at least she convinced herself of it, "Let's open it."

Gilbert handed the letter back to her so she could open it herself. It was her hard work and name on the piece. She deserved to see it first.

The moment she read it, her jaw dropped.

Gilbert saw her expression and touched her arm gently, "What does it say?"

Anne handed the letter to him, unable to speak.

Dear Miss Anne Shirley-Cuthbert,

My name is Elizabeth Johnson and I am the first female writer on the editorial staff for the Toronto Star. Our staff received your piece and I insisted I be the one to inform you of its standing.

Let me congratulate you, as you have sent the first piece intended to be published written by someone who is not a staff member or University of Toronto student. We thought your words were inspired and you are a gifted writer. No wonder Muriel speaks of you so highly. With your permission, we will place your article in our upcoming July edition.

I shared your work with my good friend, David Clark, the admissions counselor at the University of Toronto. He would like to informally offer you an acceptance for the upcoming fall semester in the university's journalism program. As long as your marks on your upcoming exams are satisfactory, he will send you a formal acceptance within the following month. He begs you to consider this offer, as he already believes you are just as good as, if not better than, the current journalism students at U of T.

Congratulations on your published piece and college acceptance. The world is lucky to have the gifted mind of Anne Shirley-Cuthbert.

Best,

Elizabeth Johnson, Head Editorial Reporter for the Toronto Star

Gilbert looked up from the letter at Anne who was smiling widely despite the tears running down her face.