• 32 • chances, cautions, and coats

'If I would have known that you wanted me the way I wanted you

Then maybe we wouldn't be two worlds apart'

--

Anne and Gilbert, upon Anne's request, traveled to Green Gables together. The original plan was for Anne to ask Gilbert to come over for some random task on the farm and they would surprise him there. Fortunately, that effort wasn't necessary.

"Stay right here." Anne instructed when they arrived at the gate.

Gilbert sighed, he trusted Anne's instincts, but he hated celebrating himself.

Anne noticed his dissatisfaction, "Trust me."

Anne ran into the house and smiled as she saw everyone looking at her expectantly.

She didn't recruit a lot of people to come to the gathering. Anne was very aware how much Gilbert wouldn't want a huge celebration. He only spent time with people he genuinely liked.

The only addition from their usual group, upon Mary's suggestion, was Winifred.

Mary knew how much Gilbert enjoyed Winifred, and she wanted to give the poor girl a chance. Mary loved Anne and Gilbert together as much as anyone else, but their relationship could be rocky and she didn't want Gilbert holding onto false hope.

Bash was very upset with his wife. He understood where she was coming from, but, if Gilbert and Anne were ever going to get together, there couldn't be too many distractions or roadblocks. Winifred was quite the roadblock.

Anne's heart dropped when she saw Winifred. They had invited her by letter since that was the only way to go around Gilbert and keep it a secret. Anne had avoided really meeting Winifred, but she was stunned.

Winifred was a gorgeous, tall blonde with luscious curly hair. She was everything Anne wasn't and everything Anne aspired to be.

Winifred gasped upon seeing Anne. She didn't know what she expected, but it definitely wasn't the wind-blown red head in front of her. Anne had a type of beauty that was understated. For how much Gilbert talked about her, he had to be in love. It would have been easier for Winifred if Anne was a classic beauty. Then she could justify having a chance.

"This must be the famous Anne." Winifred said cheerfully, holding out her hand for Anne to take.

Anne grabbed it reluctantly and shook it lightly, "Nice to meet you, Winifred."

"Is he here?" Marilla asked, snapping Anne out of her thoughts.

"Yes, yes, he is. I'll go get him." Anne stuttered out.

She ran outside back up to Gilbert, feeling flustered from her interaction with Winifred.

Gilbert easily read Anne, "Are you okay?"

Anne didn't want to answer him directly, "Come on, they're waiting."

They walked to the door in silence. Anne was trying to calm herself down and Gilbert was trying to imagine whatever could have set Anne off.

The moment they opened the door, Gilbert knew exactly why Anne was anxious.

Winifred is here.

"Happy birthday, Gilbert!" Everyone greeted him.

Gilbert had to admit, if he had to do any sort of party, this was the perfect group.

The party was just as wonderful for Gilbert as Anne dreamed it would be. The cake was his favorite, everyone he loved was there, and raspberry cordial was making its way around the room.