• 41 • cover, cities, and culture

'Be still 'My Foolish Heart,'

Don't ruin this on me'

--

While Anne and Gilbert were about to have the trip of their dreams in Toronto, life in Avonlea was falling apart.

Diana's parents trapped her inside. They resented her for taking the Queen's Exam, so her mom kept her busy by continuing to finish her. Diana only obliged because she was tired of being called 'deceitful' and 'despicable.' She knew she hadn't done anything wrong. It was her future and she should decide what to do to make her happy. She needed Anne to empower her, but she could only contact her through a letter and Anne's response wouldn't come in time. Diana couldn't even talk to Jerry.

Jerry wasn't doing well either. He was bringing in the majority of the funds for his family since Marilla needed him so often, but they were running out of money. Crops and animals were in the middle of growing, and Jerry's mother wasn't feeling well enough to do her typical patch and sewing jobs. Most of his siblings were too young to work. Diana's absence wasn't helping either.

Mary fell sick. She wasn't sure what she had yet and wanted to wait for Gilbert's diagnosis. It's not that she didn't trust Dr. Ward, he would probably come help if they asked, but he wasn't Gilbert.

Mary's illness stressed out Bash. He was taking care of her, working more on the farm, and watching Delly. He was counting down the days until Gilbert would come back.

Marilla's condition only became more complicated. She went with Rachel to Charlottetown, but the oculust wasn't too positive. He encouraged more rest and less straining her eyes in low light, but that could only help so much. He assumed there may be another condition causing her issues.

That's why Rachel and Marilla planned to travel to Charlottetown to see Dr. Nicholson, the only neurologist in Prince Edward Island. Those results would be shared with Anne when she arrived home later.

But while Marilla was on the train to Charlottetown, Anne was running off the train in Toronto.

"Anne! Where are you going?" Gilbert called after her, trying to keep up but miserably failing.

He followed Anne as she exited the building and ran up to a short wall outside. She climbed up and stood on top of the wall, staring at the city.

"Isn't it just marvelous?"

Gilbert didn't respond, he just laughed in disbelief. Anne's whimsy never ceased to amuse him.

Anne glanced down at him and her heart skipped a beat, "This might be my best adventure yet."

The look in his eyes changed. Like two cups, filled to the brim.

Anne shook her head and snapped herself into reality.

Keep yourself together.

Gilbert reached out his hand, "Come on, we have to get to campus."

Anne nodded, took it, and stumbled clumsily.

"Would you be careful?" Gilbert caught and steadied her, "If you hurt yourself Marilla won't allow us another adventure for a long time."

She stepped back and smoothed out her dress, "And we wouldn't want that,"

Their eyes locked

"Would we?"

"I certainly don't." Gilbert bit his lip to contain his smile.

Anne's heart was already racing out of anticipation. So when she heard an unfamiliar voice yell, "Anne Shirley-Cuthbert?" she jumped.

Anne turned around and gasped.