Wired (part 3): Relief

Arthur thought, that even though had now reason to believe Merlin to be alive (he wanted to believe it, forgive him), he had not expected it to happen like this.

Sure, he could have expected Lancelot and Merlin to pull a prank on him. And surely, it should not have made Arthur's heart clench that impossibly harsh. When Lancelot said:
"Bad news." And paused so horribly that Arthur felt his heart shatter already.
Before he said: "He's still alive."

But seeing Merlin grin that lopsided smile, as if nothing was wrong....
He knew they never reached Gaius. And even if they did, Gaius was no miracle worker. He would have ordered Merlin to rest for at least another two days.
And even if Merlin had managed to escape, he would never have made it here in time, let alone so seemingly effortless. In perfect health.

Merlin looked alive and well. No scratch on him. As if nothing had happened at all.
This was his final confirmation. Dragoon had not lied. Merlin had been magically saved. For what reason, Arthur could only wonder.

If Arthur had not had the discussion with Dragoon, he was certain he would not have questioned Merlin's miracle recovery.
He would have been full of his own upcoming end and not wasted a second to feel anything but relief for Merlin return. He would have been blind to this.

Right now, he could felt himself soak up the hope that Merlin brought back with him, as he was indulged in hugs of all the knights.
Even Arthur himself could not help himself. He patted him on his arm. Though he was last to acknowledge his affection for his servant.
"It's good to see you, Merlin.", he said earnestly. And in Arthur's book, this was almost a love confession.

He almost winced at Dragoon's claims that he did, indeed, love Merlin. Arthur hated to admit, that he couldn't deny it. He was glad to see Merlin. More than he could ever dare to admit.

Merlin endured all the happy and relieved welcome backs, there in yet another old ruin which no one knew the history of.

"Who is that?"
Arthur swirled around, to see Lancelot curiously look at the man sitting at the fire.
Dragoon looked at them, the nostalgic smile on his face again.
His eyes were following Lancelot and Merlin with expecting eyes.

It was then that Merlin turned around to follow Lancelot's gaze.... And then Merlin froze.
He halted where he had walked towards Lance, his face morphed into something like utter confusion. Startled beyond believe, he merely gaped. "Huh?"

Dragoon made no move to introduce himself, so Arthur did it for him.

"This, Merlin, is Dragoon.", Arthur pat him on the shoulder again, just to have a reason to be close to his friend.
Merlin mindlessly stood there, still staring at Dragoon.
Something akin to recognition in his eyes.

Arthur blinked. Had they met? Did Merlin know him? That could not be. Merlin had been drunk beyond believe, when Dragoon had escaped the pyre. No way he remembered him.

"The great.", Arthur added to bring the humor back, but Merlin stalked forward to confront the old man.

"Who are you really.", he said and he said it with so much disbelieve, like he had expected Dragoon to be dead. Like it was impossible that this man sat in front of him at all. Like his mere existence was questionable.

"Who do you think I am.", Dragoon's expression was almost a mirror to Merlin's. And for the first time, Arthur saw them side by side.
There was... a striking similarity between the two. Arthur frowned. That's weird? Something in their eyes looked incredibly similar.

"You can't ... be.", Merlin frowned, but the more he watched Dragoon, the more his disbelieve seemed to fade. It was like Merlin was trying to sense something.
Strange, how the happy mood had suddenly shifted again.