royal blood

When you face a dragon, there are many things that come across your mind.
You imagine your loved ones, how they will react to your inevitable death.
You may think about what strategy was best to attack the beast.
In a way, you could be thinking of ways to save the people around you. Like your idiot best friend the servant with the ragged scarf, for example.

Arthur didn't know much about magical creatures. He certainly didn't know much about dragons.
But he was pretty damn sure, you needed a good sword to defeat it. Or at least a giant axe. Or a maze. Or - literally anything pointy.
Arthur would have been fine with a small knife, god damn it!

Balinor needed only words.
Because, well - he was a dragon lord. Not just a sorcerer who had healed the prince of Camelot. He could tame a dragon, simply by speaking to him.

Arthur had known that a dragon lord was their only hope to defend Camelot against the great Dragon - but he had never expected the man to be so powerful. If he had known, he wasn't sure he would have gone with only Merlin to find him.
For the first time since they met him, Arthur was god damn astonished by this man. Frightened of him, maybe.

"Uther deserves what is coming to him! One cannot slaughter an entire species, without expecting consequences. He knew what he was doing. He needs to pay the price!"
So .... apparently dragons could talk too. Arthur felt like he should have known this. Someone should have mentioned it to him. Something casual like: oh yeah, there might be a chance that you can reason with the Dragon. Because that thing speaks your fucking language!
Arthur was all about defeating evil manic beasts. But he was not sure the same counted for sentient ones.
The prince stared up at the giant Dragon, with it's wide wings and awfully big teeth and claws and eyes and ..... urgh, how had his father captured such a thing? Person? Sir Monster Dragon Sir?
The talking was very confusing, really.

"I understand better than anyone else what he has done. But I beg of you, please. Leave Camelot alone. I promise, no harm will come to you.
I will banish you. I have no intention to kill the last of our kind for a king like Uther."

,Our kind."
Arthur swallowed, where he hid behind the closest tree. Merlin in a headlock, so the boy would finally be quiet for once.
Merlin tried to free himself by licking Arthur's hand. But his attempt backfired, because Arthur wore a leather glove. (Also Arthur grew up with Morgana, he knew all the tricks.)

"You will order me to leave?!", the dragon sounded disappointed, mildly annoyed. But mostly disappointed.
Balinor straightened his stance. He looked tired, but determined. Arthur couldn't help but wonder why this man was helping them. For some reason, he seemed eager to help them.
Well, Merlin. He was eager to help Merlin. For some reason the man seemed to like Arthur's poor excuse of a servant.

Not that Arthur was surprised. Balinor wasn't the only one. But was this man really ready to lay down his life for Merlin? After knowing him for two days? Apprarently so, or else he wouldn't be here.
"Will you be quiet, Merlin! Before this monster eats us!", Arthur hissed, as Merlin suddenly bit him.
But Merlin plan worked, as he wriggled himself free and spit out something black and leathery.

.... Had Merlin just bitten a hole in Arthur's glove? He frowned. ,Sharp teeth.'

"God damn it Arthur, I know!", Merlin hissed back. "But I still need to breathe!"
"Shhhhh!", Arthur held his finger to his lips. Merlin rolled his eyes, while he tried to catch his breath without making any more sounds.

"I will, yes. And one day, maybe, when Arthur is king, maybe the two of you can make peace. It is only Uther you want. Leave the town in peace."

The dragon bowed his head slightly. Arthur awed at Balinor. Wait a second .... when Arthur was king, he was supposed to reason with that beast? Oh damn. Sounds fun.