10: Defiance

In all happened in a blur. Jungkook widened his eyes and rapidly organized and delivered different orders to the different betas. Taehyung grabbed the girl and lead her out of the room, her eyes forever looking back, glancing at Jungkook. Quickly, Jungkook put the papers on the drawers, grabbed the pastries and guided Hani out of the pack house. Trapped in the words the girl had pronounced, Hani's mind was hazy and cloudy; she felt surrounded by a mist, a thick fog. They walked into the cabin hastily and Jungkook dropped the pastries on their kitchen table. Then, he too dropped, falling limply on the chair with his hands barely holding his head. The weight on the world applied pressure to his shoulders and the Alpha felt lost, completely and utterly astray. He didn't know what to do. He had to do something but where to start? His head raised when he heard the chair move beside him. Hani sat down, her eyes blank; absent of any thought. Jungkook's eyes trailed her fingers that fidgeted and shook on top of the table. Hani had her lips going through a torturous treatment due to her nervousness. The Alpha nothing did, he waited for Hani to get a hold of her emotions. Watching his mate's unsettledness, the way Hani writhed in her seat, only triggered his own dread even more.

"Jungkook..." Hani's voice awakened the Alpha from his despair, causing him to face her with his exhausted but worry filled eyes. She seemed to not know how to start the conversation, judging by how she opened and closed her mouth. It wasn't like Jungkook didn't know what questions she would, surely, ask. "That black wolf they speak of, the one they call Ares... is that you? Was that the wolf I saw back at the forest?"

"Yeah, that's his name" Jungkook sighed, leaning back on the chair and closing his eyes. "The last thing I wanted was for them to believe he is a God. Gods bring fortune, make miracles. There is no miracle in death, neither in slaughter"

"He?" Hani questioned, noticing the habit Jungkook had to refer to his wolf as a << he >> and not as a part of him. As if his wolf had not grown inside of him and was, in reality, an adjacent part of him he had not wished for. An ill limb he wanted to amputate. "Why do you talk about him like that? Is he not a part of you?"

"Would a cancerous human consider their tumour a part of them, simply because it exists inside their body? Something unnatural and poisoning that invades and corrupts them?" There was an angry and bitter tone in Jungkook's voice as he spoke. "Why should I consider Ares a part of me, if he has done nothing but ruin my life? Leave a trail a blood under my feet? He is nothing but an unwelcomed guest in me and I am nothing more than a vessel for him to use, to spread his wrath. Every time I let him in charge of my body, he kills until his fur is no longer black"

"He was gentle with me. He answered to me as if he was you" Jungkook's eyes snapped open, upon these words. His head moving fast to lock eyes with his mate, refusing to believe there was truth in her words. "He called my name and I thought it was you. And when I did say your name, all he did was lay his head on my lap. Allowing me to touch his fur."

"He is not to be trusted, Hani. He is never up to no good."

"Have you ever let him in charge of you, in a situation, in which he didn't feel threatened? Or in which your desires weren't to kill or survive?" Hani's hands tenderly touched the Alpha's arms, caressing his skin through the fabric. Her voice was laced with a heavenly calmness and delicateness that could even swoon the wildest of hearts into submission. "Our wolves obey to our desires and necessities. They are the more... animalistic side of ourselves. Just like any other animal in danger, they attack. Some more fiercely than others."

"He is not MY wolf, Hani. He wasn't designed for me. He was forced into my life and I, into his." A growing anger burned inside of him as more words flew from his mouth, fuelling and feeding the flame. The more he talked, the more aggravated he became. "The wolf I had when I shifted, when I was that little poor omega, was a splitting image of me. We worked together, we understood one another. Ares and I do not. We are so different; we cannot even have one conversation without breaking into an angry and vicious fight in my conscience. If I could rip him out of my body, I would. But I can't. I've tried to kick him out and neither of us can leave. We are trapped to one another like a prisoner is to a cell, like a killer is to his weapon"