14: Moon

A/N: mentions of explicit gore content at the end of chapter, please proceed at your own risk

Panic had made its home in the Alpha's heart as he waited for Daeun to arrive. He was sitting on the floor of his and Hani's bedroom with his head resting on the mattress as he held tenderly her hand. The girl was breathing slowly, apparently, at peace which reassured the Alpha to a certain degree. He had laid her down on the bed carefully, delicately covering her up and tucking her in. Running back outside, he found Jimin walking towards their cabin, but, before the friend could say a word, Jungkook was begging him to get Jin or Daeun. Now, Jungkook waited – as patiently as he could – trailing his fingers over her flushed cheeks. With his thumb, he wiped her tears, leaving small kisses on the places they had once been. His eyes were drawing her in his mind, following all the features of her face that he already had memorized to the tiniest of the details. He wondered about what was on her mind, if a dream had swopped her from reality to shelter her. He hoped it had. 

Hani was dreaming, indeed. However, the dream that was playing on her head was not a reassuring one, neither a comforting one but one that she already knew. She was in a forest, familiar to her from her childhood. Like the last time, Hani saw the little girl running through the trees. Her bare feet splashing on the small puddles of water in the ground. When she reached the figure, the girl fell on her knees, clutching her mother's hands as tightly as she could. Like before, Hani and the little girl became one, screaming her mother's name as tears ran down their face. Only this time, the girl vanished once her mother looked at her, and instead, Hani took her place. There was so much blood on her hands, so much blood on her mother, yet, the woman glowed as she always did. Painfully she reached her hand to touch the girl's face, tenderly she caressed her wet cheeks and smiled softly at her – the way she always did when Hani cried. It was their little secret message, their small way of saying 'it's alright, you can cry'. And so, the girl, cried, allowing her tears to mix with the blood, turning it into a clearer colour – a softer sweeter tone, worthy of her mother. Her mother opened her mouth, her lips quivering for she tried to speak, despite feeling life slowly evaporating from her. Hani lowered her head, swallowing in the sobs and tears, for a moment only, so that she could hear her. 

"You once asked me why the moon changes her shape with every night that passes. Do you remember that, Hani?" She nodded her head rapidly, her tears falling even faster as she did so. The older woman smiled, happy that time hadn't vanished that memory from the girl's mind. "I told you I didn't know but... I lied. I wanted you to figure it out by yourself, yet. I don't think I have much time left. So, I want to tell you this while I have the strength to speak"

Hani did not like that idea; she did not want her mother to waste her final breaths on words she could tell her on the next day. Instead, her mother should save her strength to help her hold on for a little while, just long enough for Hani to go grab some help. The girl stood up with wobbly legs, determinate to run back to their pack. The women's strong grip on her arm prevented her from moving and little Hani was forced to stay and listen.

"Things take time and patience, Hani. The world is not ready for fast changes or sudden moves, it scares them. So, the moon takes her time, revealing a phase of her, one at a time... and each phase is important. For we too, like the moon, must go through phases in order to reach our goal, our completion. You, too, must go through your phases Hani. You, too, must be patient and strive to reach your goal like the moon, who despite not revealing herself to us in the morning; who despite standing by herself in the sky, still goes through her changes bravely. So, you must do. Understand that the moon to become one, is divided in three - it is three the phases, three shapes the moon takes." 

Little Hani was confused with what her mother was telling her, still, she refused to interrupt her. Her mother's hand left her arms. Shakingly it trailed upwards towards her chest. Hani watched attentively her mother's moves, her tears ceasing for a few moments; her eyes drying with curiosity. Their eyes met, a perfect copy of the other. Smiling, her mother spoke with a wavering tone of her voice – trying to hold back her own tears from spilling from her eyes – her eyes, forever, engraving themselves on Hani's.