38: The first slip

A/N: thank you so much for 30k reads on the first book of this series!! Your support means the world to me, truly. I will keep on working hard to provide even better chapters in the near future, i love you all <3

The day after, Hani and Fai walked hand in hand through the pack. It was a warm morning which lured everyone to go out. The toddler watched the whole environment in amazement, noticing the kids running around, the different toys and games they played together. In his hand, was a big chocolate chip cookie that he nibbled on, since he only had his 4 front teeth. Still, he always found a way around it, even if it took him hours to eat it and, according to Hani, it seemed that Fai's main goal was to lick the chocolate out of the cookie, and not actually eat it; which, needless to say, Jungkook hate it, since Hani always forced him to eat the rest, so that it wouldn't go to waste. Hani carried a brown paper bag in her hand; in it, was a bunch of essentials for new moms that she had prepared for Lily and Haeyoung. She was humming to a soft tone as they strolled towards the medical cabin and Fai peering at Hani, tried to imitate the sounds she made while he stuffed his cheeks with cookies.

The Alpha had been on the pack house, since early morning. His head was drowning in plans and more plans, papers and more papers. They had been able to approach another one of Ulric's allies and, surprisingly, they easily accepted meeting them, once both packs had time to do so. On top of that, Jungkook was keeping an eye out for the pack's borders. He regulated attentively the newcomers into the pack, how the training was going, if people were getting settled in the pack. All of these topics worried him, especially the amount of people that were currently in the pack, due to the fire that had destroyed Hani's old pack. The fact that they weren't actually members of the pack, caused a problem; for Jungkook was sheltering them, feeding them and taking care of them which, inevitably, placed a lot of pressure on him and his resources. Yoongi and Namjoon both believed it wasn't a good decision to keep them around without them being official members. They weren't contributing to the pack, at all and instead were just taking advantage of the Alpha's kindness. The situation was a tricky one and Jungkook really didn't know what to do. He felt torn. In all honesty, it bothered him having them walking around stealing the food from his people, taking space up in their homes; when, in fact, they weren't family, neither were they helpful. Still, a part of them was compassionate, perhaps because he saw a bit of him in them. Tired, Jungkook had decided to take a break from the meeting and go see Hani and Fai, in order to clear out his head. He always thought better when she was around and the girl always had good ideas. However, as he went to reach for the door, he had to take a few steps backwards, so as not to have her hitting his face. The sound boomed through the cabin, alerting the 6 betas to a new presence who, obviously, was imbued with wrath.

"What the f*ck do you think you are doing, kid?" Haewon shouted, pointing his finger threateningly at the baffled Alpha. The Alpha tauntingly raised his eyebrow at him, challenging the older male's anger. "Don't give me that cocky look as if you don't know what you did! You think I'm blind? Thinking you can get away with endangering my pack with your immature, selfish plans!"

"Endangering your pack?" The Alpha's voice raised, triggered by the accusatory tone of Haewon's voice. Behind the older male was one of Jungkook's men and his eyes were filled with panic. The Alpha met his gaze, briefly, and quickly, he understood what was the reason behind all this commotion. "You owe me a thank you. Had it not been me and my pack, and you'd no longer have yours"

"Sh*tty Ulric would have never attacked our pack, if you hadn't had the brilliant idea of stealing his allies and killing his patrol groups! Tying them to trees? Dangling from their necks? Are you f*cking insane!" It was poisonous, ravenous words the ones that Haewon spit at Jungkook, yet, the Alpha, unfazed by them, stared uninterestingly at him. "He attacked my pack to get back at you! You enraged him!"