02: Guilt

Daeun had walked in as soon as she saw her mate leave furiously the room. She was aware of the bond Jin and Jungkook had, how loss and trauma had, painfully, brought them together. Still, she couldn't understand why such a reaction had suddenly arisen in Jin. When Daeun entered, Hani and Jungkook were distant from each other, each of the mates at different sides of the room. Jungkook had his forehead pressed against the cold wood wall of the cabin, his body completely limb as if he had just run a marathon and was finally calming his heartbeat down. Hani was sitting on the bed, staring helplessly at Jungkook, with her eyes, once more, filled with tears. Carefully, Daeun went towards her. Her hand rested as gentle as possible on the girl's swollen ankle. Daeun mumbled her name, trying to catch the girl's attention. Hani seemed to be trapped in Jungkook's figure, her mind being at another place in space and time. Daeun kept on calling her until, finally, as if waking up from a dream, Hani's red swollen eyes met with hers.

"Does it still hurt?" Daeun asked softly, like one does to a child after they had a nightmare. "There's nothing I can do about the broken ankle. You'll need to give it time to heal, Hani. But if the pain is still too much for you, and you see that is taking too long to heal, I can prepare you some ointment"

The girl just nodded her head, not finding any more energy in her to do anything else. Daeun tenderly fixed Hani's messy hair, pushing the wild strands of hair behind her ears.

"Alpha?" Daeun called out, this time wanting to check on Jungkook. "Do you want something for your chest, as well?"

Jungkook turned around, a somber and dark gaze in his eyes. Hani, slightly shivered in her place, hating the way there was no glow, no twinkle or stars in his eyes. His hair was a mess, too, due to how he had been grasping it non-stop. Jungkook was still covered in blood, his shirt ripped, his body tense.

"I'm fine" His voice had a nonchalant tone in it as he spoke, reflective of the numbness and tiredness he carried. "Just give her something to take. I can't... I can't..."

The Alpha struggled to say the words, as if his tongue had forgotten how they were pronounced. Or perhaps it was the weight of guilt in his heart, in his mind, that refused to release him of the pain he was feeling. Not wanting to pressure him and understanding that he had too much on his plate, Daeun just nodded her head. She left for a few moments to grab everything she needed and then, she came back to the room. The same scenery was there, yet this time, Jungkook and Hani stared at each other in complete silence.

"Here. Apply this two times per day." Daeun instructed as she gave Jungkook the ointment. "I'll come by to check up on her tomorrow. If she gets worse, then just run here."

Jungkook mumbled a small "thank you" and immediately went towards Hani. They shared a silent, careful, hesitant gaze as Jungkook slightly leaned down to lift her up. It was almost as if he was asking permission to touch her. When Hani nothing said, he carefully put his arms under her legs and lifted her up slowly – her head not even once, turned around to face him.

The couple walked out of the room, into the long hallway where Namjoon and Taehyung were waiting for them on. They got up instinctively, once they heard the door opening and closing. Taehyung noticed the eerie and uncomfortable silence that coated them both, the prickling feeling of loss and regret lingering over them. Neither of them expected Jungkook to talk, not after coming back from god knows where and arguing with Jin. They both knew he needed time to think everything through.

"I'll be in the cabin with Hani" Their eyes widened as they heard Jungkook's groggy voice. "I... I want to make sure she's okay. Just fill me in on what happened while I was gone. Come to our place whenever you need to, okay?"