Leaps and Bounds

10 Minutes Earlier, Shoto's POV

As I walked up to Touya, he turned around, ramen noodles hanging from his mouth. "Hm?" he asked, swallowing the noodles. "Wassup, lil bro?" I looked around, no one around.

"How could I use blue flames?" I asked, looking him in the eyes. He just sat there, holding his bowl. "My orange flames are useful, but if we're gonna be taking on the old man, my quirk is too similar to him. I want to be able to overpower him completely." I clenched my fist, a small flame shooting out between my fingers. Touya sighed, setting his bowl on the crate in front of him.

"Blue flames, huh?" he asked,pinching his chin. "I guess it all comes down to condensing them. Sacrifice the amount of flames for temperature. Another issue you may run across is your body not being able to handle them." He looked at his forearm, his burns exposed through his mesh long sleeves.

"My quirk may help in that respect." I said, frost gathering around my arm. "I can cool myself off as I warm up." He nodded, standing up. "But I need help understanding how they burn."

"Why do you think I was getting up?" he asked, headed to the doors. "Come here." I followed him outside to the empty field. "The key to using blue flames is avoiding contact with your skin." I looked at my hand, igniting a flame while creating frost around my other arm. "Now, condense the flames." I closed my eyes, trying to visualize the flames and condense them. Opening my eyes, I saw the orange flames slowly turn to blue. When they were fully blue, I flung them off my hand, sending a fireball flying at the walkway. It landed, slowly burning out. "Good, good." Touya said, grinning. "Now, go bigger. Try to make an entire arm of orange ones into a hand of blue flames." I nodded, igniting my entire arm, burning my short sleeve, the flames condensing to my hand. "Make it so the flames touching your skin are the last to change, then fling them off." I exhaled, my flames shifting to a blue hue. The moment the last of the orange was gone, I flung my wrist, the fireball shooting off at the asphalt walkway, burning a hole through it almost immediately, the pavement bubbling.

"Like that?" I asked, fog blasting off my body. The fog slowly dissipated, causing me to fall to my knee, short on breath. Those specific of temperature changes are tough. I won't be able to cool off after every blue wave. So, I should only cool off when it's getting way too hot.

"Getting there. You need to learn how powerful the blue flames are." he said, squatting next to the bubbling hole. "That large of a blast is only useful to cover a cluster of people, all together. You need to know how to shape your flames for the context." I nodded, standing up. "Single guy, defenses up. How do you break 'em?"

"Like this." I said, a fireball appearing in the palm of my hand. Though the exterior was still orange, the insides were roaring with blue flames, the size slowly expanding. "Constantly feed the fireball blue flames, encasing them in orange. Then..." I drew my hand back, like I was chucking a baseball, then propelled the fireball with a blast or orange flames. The fireball shot down the walkway, landing 50 feet away, then exploding into a large inferno, melting the asphalt.

"Jeez!" Touya screamed, running his hand through his hair. "What insane control! Just like that, and you could get through any defense!" I smirked, creating another, but with orange inside, capped inside of a blue skin. "That type will be easier to use in mass, so let's see what it can do." I nodded, throwing it even harder, exploding orange flames in my hand to propel it. Colliding with the walkway, orange flames mixed with the blue, creating a spectacle of dancing fire. "Good job, lil bro!" he said, patting my shoulder. I exhaled, cooling off.

"I'll come up with a name for that, given it may be my special move." I said, opening my palm. "Encapsulated Inferno?"

"Don't worry about that right now." he said, waving his hand. "What matters is the fact you can openly control your blue flames. That's good." I smiled, glad I've made any progress with my blue flames. "It's good you have a technique, but nothing can go wrong with practicing your full blasts." I nodded, igniting my full arm in flame.