40 | who's the girl in the photograph

It was Summer break, the time where students would go home to their families, and spent a lot of time with them

It was Summer break, the time where students would go home to their families, and spent a lot of time with them... but for those without families, they could remain at the Salvatore school.

It was night time. The crescent moon was shining in the sky dimly, as the stars shone brightly.

Ruby laid sprawled out on the outside lounge at the Old Mill, as she wore Rafael's black and white checkered hoodie, and black sweatpants. Basically, her outfit screamed comfortable.

The Waithe girl had once been spectacularly happy and loved life, but one day it suddenly changed. The pinkette felt empty and helpless, and the truth was she didn't really know why.

It didn't help that her twin, her literal other half was stuck in his wolf form... that as well nobody understood why.

A low bark was heard which caused Ruby to look up, as her eyes landed on a dark coloured wolf, resembling Rafael. "Rafi." She smiled, before she patted the empty half of the couch beside her, motioning for him to sit with her.

The wolf jumped onto the lounge and got comfortable before he looked to Ruby. "I wish I knew how to change you back.." Ruby sighed, as she patted the wolf gently on the head. The wolf wined, before he nuzzled his head into her palm. "I feel so helpless Rafi... I want to help you but I don't know how.. I'm sorry."

The wolf licked her cheek as a dog would to humans it trusted, as he tried to be comforting. He was trying to let Ruby know that he was okay. She then hugged her brother as she buried her face in his fur.

Ruby wanted this emptiness to go away. This feeling of unexplainable dread that she felt every morning when she opened her eyes, to disappear. It felt like a constant storm cloud was looming over her, and it wouldn't go away.

"Ruby.."

The pinkette looked up, to see Josie, Jordan and Landon approaching her and Rafael. Josie held a collection of DVDs in her arms, whilst Jordan held many different bags of snacks in his arms, as he was focusing on not dropping them. Landon on the other hand, held a tray of raw meat to feed to Rafael.

"Hey guys... what are you doing?" Ruby asked them as Josie gave her friend a sympathetic look, "We want to keep you company.. you've barely left the Old Mill in two weeks." She spoke softly.

"I'm alright guys." Ruby quickly lied. She didn't want to tell them how she really felt, because she didn't know why she was feeling this way. But the pinkette didn't need to say anything, it was clear that she looked and seemed miserable.

"It's okay not to be okay." Jordan assured her, as he took a seat beside her. "The thing is... I don't know why I don't feel okay." The werewolf blurted out. "I feel so.. lost.." She mumbled, as she felt pathetic.