03 | salt meets wound

Ruby and Rafael watched Josie, as she was casting a spell to drag Landon out of his cell

Ruby and Rafael watched Josie, as she was casting a spell to drag Landon out of his cell. The boy suddenly fell to the ground in front of them with a thud, causing Ruby to jolt in surprise and bump into Rafael.

After a moment, Landon stood to his feet and dusted himself off, before he wore a look of shock upon seeing Ruby, Rafael and Josie. Behind them, a loud party was underway in what remains of the old mill.

"Ruby? Raf?" Landon asked in surprise, as Rafael had a bright smile, and Ruby clapped her hands together happily. Ruby and Landon then embraced for a brief moment, as Ruby felt incredibly relieved that Landon was freed. Rafael and Landon then also quickly embraced, and it was clear that they were both relieved to have found each other.

Ruby turned to face Josie now, "That's pretty awesome, Jo." She admitted, as Josie flashed her a smile, "Thanks." The Saltzman replied, smiling back at the girl.

"What the hell, man?" Landon asked Rafael. "You... you all right? Josie helped me get you out." Rafael explained, motioning to the girl that stood beside him, who smiled shyly. "It's a summoning spell. Did I bruise you? I'm really still working out the kinks..." Josie explained to Landon.

Landon still looked like he couldn't believe that any of this was real, but instead of arguing, he laughed, "Summoning spell?" Rafael clapped Landon on the back and steered him toward the party, hanging his arms over Landon and Ruby's shoulders. "Let's get you a drink, Lan." Ruby spoke, with a grin.

Once inside the old mill, Rafael motioned toward a group of young men showing off their werewolf physical abilities. "Watch this— they teach it in P.E." Rafael explained to Landon and Ruby. Rafael looked delighted by the sight of his fellow wolves, and Landon was surprised by how comfortable he looked here. "You seem good. I was worried." Landon confessed.

"I was talking to these wolf dudes back here. All that stuff I've been feeling? Everything that gets me into trouble? It's normal. I want you both to meet them!" Rafael said as a smile formed on Ruby's lips, "I'd love to, Rafi." She insisted.

Landon on the other hand, looked unsurely at his foster brother, "Uh, honestly? I think it's best if I just take this opportunity to jump the fence and disappear." He responded.

Ruby blinked in surprise by Landon's statement, forgetting that Alaric had already tried to send him away. Rafael wasted no time responding to this statement, "We'll go with you." Landon sighed, "Raf, no."

"No Lan, Rafi is right— it's you, me and Rafi! Three musketeers! So, whatever we do, we do it together." Ruby announced, with a smile. Landon, realizing he wasn't going to win this argument, and not wanting to pull Rafael or Ruby away from the school, just smiled weakly and gestured toward where the party-goers getting drinks. "Yeah, we'll talk about it over a drink. Want anything?" He asked the twins.