Big Tick

Deep in the wilderness of Yellowstone National Park, we enjoyed what it had to offer. Set right up next to a stream, where I could spot a deer drinking peacefully at the edge. The pine trees reached for the sky, swaying to the light breeze the day provided.

I tagged along at Grandpa Max's and Gwen's side as we ambled along at a walk. Camera poised and ready to snap picks of anything that caught my attention. The perfect summer day, meant for relaxing and nothing else.

"Ah, nothing like finally relaxing in the peace and quiet of the great outdoors." The elder said, stopping to take a deep inhale of the clean air. He then glancing to us only for our nods of agreement to follow.

Though, like usual, Ben was on an entirely different page. Maybe entirely different story with how he shouted like he was in the middle of a crowded street from the cities. "Darn it, darn it, darn it! I hate this stupid thing!"

He lumbered up the rocky path behind us like a newborn with the way he tripped over small stones in the path, fiddling with the watch as a frown dug into his face. A pair of headphones covering his head, blasting his favorite choice of music. He lowered them as he drew closer, still messing with the watch and never looking up at us.

"Or not." Gwen grumbled, shooting a glare at her green-eyed cousin.

"Everyone likes different things. Ben just doesn't find this trip very fun, apparently." I mumbled with a heavy sigh. Ignoring the way Gwen rolled her eyes at my steadfast defense.

"What's the matter Ben?" Grandpa Max asked his grandson.

"I'd figure I'd go XLR8 and hit that burger place in Casper. To pick up a double cheese burger with pickles!" Ben exclaimed happily, before his voice died with annoyance. "But it looks like I'm stuck here."

"Ben, Yellowstone happens to be one of the coolest places around. Just hang out and appreciate it." Gwen said, crossing her arms.

"Gwen's right," Max started before the green-eyed boy could think to argue. "And we can live right off the land! Hmmm, grubworms! Full of protein." he said while rolling over a log and picking up one of the pale, wiggling masses underneath it. He ate it in one bite, Gwen, Ben, and I cringing away in disgust.

"You grill them up with a sun-dried tomato paste, they are-"

That is a man who has no taste buds. I whirled around to Ben the same time Gwen did, clearly abandoning the thought process of stopping him from using the watch and enjoying nature. I just didn't want to snack on worms for lunch. The idea sending my stomach rolling with sickness.

Gwen snatched up the wrist that held the watch, beginning to mess with the dial in desperation. "Maybe I can help! I take my burger with chili."

"If you give me the location I can just teleport there and get it. Please, anything but worms." I groaned, taking hold of Ben's shoulder and giving him a light shake.

"I can appreciate that!" Ben smirked, brushing off both of us and activating the Omnitrix. Instead of popping up like usual, it started to cackle with energy. Without even him slamming a hand down on the dial, a blinding green flash of light happened.

Gwen and I jumped back, yelping in surprise as we shielded our eyes. When it died down and we dared to peek, it was not an alien Ben had ever transformed into. Which was why he tipped over, unbalanced, landing on his back painfully.

The alien was built like a football player. If football players had no neck and giant, yellow bubble-like lumps of armor all over their body. Clawed, chubby hands which were defiantly not meant for close range fighting unless the alien was truly desperate. And small, beady eyes that squinted up at the sky, disoriented.