They Lurk Below

Riding above the ocean in a fancy helicopter, Grandpa Max, Gwen, Ben, and I headed for a resort. One that was owned by a old friend of the elder's, who had reached out to personally invite him before its grand opening.

I sat, leaned back in the high quality seat of the helicopter. Sipping at my glass of water while sat between Ben and Grandpa Max. Gwen on the other side of the elder drinking her own.

"Now this is cool!" Ben exclaimed as he leaned against a window. "Picked up in a billionaire's private jet to check out his brand new hotel before anybody else. Now were talking about a summer vacation. Thanks!" He turned to look up at his grandfather, smiling brightly.

"I'd do anything for you guys. You know that Ben."

"How come you never told us before that you knew Donovan GrandSmith?" Gwen piped up, setting down her cup and staring up curiously at Max.

"Must have slipped my mind."

"But nothing gets past you. Much less a bit of memory loss." I murmured, suddenly wondering if he was hiding something about this guy. Maybe not, I could just be over thinking. Shrugging it off, I focused on the window, wanting to watch the helicopter land. Which meant fighting a certain Brunet to get a view.

Gwen, Ben, and I all rushed to the exit as soon as it landed. Walking out and smiling at the sight of an old man and what could be his grandson. Who stared at us blankly, like he didn't care who we were.

The elder spoke as soon as he saw Max. "Max Tennyson, its been way to long."

"How are you Donovan?" The elder asked, shaking hands like a formal adult.

"Well, with sixteen resorts worldwide, I'd say pretty good. Glad you finally decided to see how the better half lives."

Giving a friendly pat, and laughing to show it was a joke, Donovan glance down to notice us as Max introduced us. Waving a hand in front of each of us as he named us off.

"These are my grandkids, Ben and Gwen, and their friend (Y/n)."

"And this is my grandson, Edwin."

"Hi." Ben, Gwen, and I chimed together in good manners.

Edwin turned away, rolling his eyes and upturning his nose. "Yeah, whatever." He mumbled, arms still crossed since we arrived.

The three of us exchanged confused glances, surprised he by the attitude the turtlenecked kid possessed. What ruined his breakfast to sour his mood? The air felt tense as the cousins and me glared at Edwin.

"Ready to take the plunge?" Donovan took the attention off greetings. He gestured to a metal box that rested behind him. It popped open to reveal it was a elevator, everyone entering in wonder.

We go down, the elevator opening to a room with a large inflatable tube that had nice padded seats. Edwin lead the way, Gwen, Ben, and I followed. Sliding into the seats across from the dark haired kid.

The elderly joined us, sitting beside their respective kids. With a nod from Donovan, a worker pressed the button that started the tube. Sending us down, where the sea opened up behind glass walls.

We were able to catch multiple signs of wildlife. A whale darting past, its echoing cries heard even through the thick glass. Schools of fish drifting in a world of their own, unaware of our wondering gaze on them.

"You sure this was the safest place to build a resort like this?" I heard Grandpa Max pipe up.

"You talking underwater fault lines?" Donovan shot back, confused.