Chapter Seventeen: I Want This One

Chapter Sixteen: I Want This One

Percy

"He got arrested–for real this time. A life sentence, too, since they found evidence of all of his previous crimes!" Annabeth said excitedly through the phone. "He's–he's done so many things, Percy. Half of it I didn't even know about. In the last ten years alone..." she trailed off.

I could hear the discomfort in her voice, even when she masked it with excitement. "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to, Wise Girl."

"Thank god," she let out a sigh of relief. "Change the subject. Anything, please."

"We still haven't told Annie that we decided to move in together."

Annabeth laughed. "Why don't we meet up at the park and talk to her about it?"

"Good plan. How fast can you get here?"

"You're already there?"

"I brought Annie to the park because she wanted to meet up with one of her friends, but they are going to leave in a few minutes, so I figure now is as good a time as any."

"Great. I'll be over in about ten minutes. Love you."

"Love you too." I hung up and looked over at the swings to see Annie. Sure enough, she was swinging next to a girl, chatting and laughing with her. I smiled, happy to see that she was making friends.

I leaned against a tree and went through the pictures I'd posted on Instagram. Many of them were of my friends and family, Annie, our new kitten, and Annabeth. Eventually, I found pictures way back from a little over four years ago. In one particular picture, there was Annabeth, Rosie, and Annie all curled up in bed together. I looked at the caption.

My four girls all curled up in one heap(I am CERTAIN that the baby will be a girl)

The corners of my mouth turned up slightly, recalling the memory. This was roughly two months after Annabeth and I found out she was pregnant, right around the time I'd proposed.

But then I remembered what had happened only just a month or two later. I was lucky Annabeth had been able and willing to forget about all that, to have a fresh start.

I was pulled away from my thoughts when Annabeth tapped on my shoulder, smiling.

"Hey, Seaweed Brain. Whatcha thinking about?"

"Nothing much," I shrugged it off. This would not be a repeat of last time. "You think she'll take the news well?"

"Are you kidding me? Yesterday she called me and told me how amazing it would be if we all went on this four-year-long trip stopping at just about every place ever."

I smiled. "That would be fun. But don't you think we would run out of money after the first two weeks?"

Annabeth laughed. "That's what I said."

I noticed that Annie's friend had left and she was racing over to us.

"Annabeth!" she squealed. Annabeth knelt down and gave her a tight hug.

"Hey, sweetie,"

"What are you doing here?" Annie asked.

"Your dad and I have some big news to tell you."

Annie narrowed her eyes suspiciously, "Are you pregnant?"

Annabeth and I both laughed. "No, no."

"Then what?"

"Sit and we'll tell you," I said. We all got settled in the grass, and Annie was bouncing up and down excitedly.

"Can she guess what it is?" I asked. Annabeth nodded. "Guess, Annie."