Chapter Twenty-Three: That's the Beauty of Family, Right?

Annabeth

My hand shot up to my mouth as I let out a small gasp.

"H-Hi," said Rosalie. "You...you are my mom."

I felt tears flowing down my cheeks as I nodded. I was so overwhelmed with emotion, I could hardly speak. I rushed forward and enveloped her in a hug.

The past few years didn't matter anymore. Nothing but my daughter mattered. She was here and alive, after I thought she was dead. If I had to describe my emotions, I'd say happiness, love, and everything else jam packed into one. I felt her pull away from my grasp. I held her face, smiling. Tears were still dripping down my cheeks.

"You're really here, aren't you?" I asked.

She nodded. "I'm here, Mama."

I grew frantic, "Are you okay? What happened to you?"

"I'll explain it all later but...for now can you just hold me?" Rosie asked me.

I nodded and held her closer. This moment seemed so surreal, like I'd wake up in a cold sweat, as if nothing had ever happened.

It seemed like hours had passed, and we just held each other. Still in shock, I stood up. Looking down at my child's face after my bleary eyes had been cleared, I noticed scars, one much like Luke's, one across her forehead, and a few small ones that looked vaguely like fingernails.

"Where did you get all these scars, honey?"

"Luke," she answered, looking down.

My eyes darkened. "That son of a bitch."

"He took me. It wasn't me who you buried. It was a dummy. He told me all about the doctors, and made me think you were dead. Said if I talked, the same thing would happen to me."

"Honey, never. He is never getting you again. If you ever see someone that even resembles him, tell us right away." she nodded.

I turned to Percy, who was watching us with a soft smile on his face. "You brought her here?" he nodded. "Thank you, thank you so so much."

Annie had gotten up here and was standing next to Percy, grinning. "I told you she would flip,"

"Mom?" Rosie asked.

"Yes?"

"I really love you, like a lot, but I also love food and I'm really hungry." I had to laugh at that.

"Are the quesadillas ready, Perce?"

"Yup! Want to eat up here or downstairs?"

"Is it okay if we eat up here?" asked Annie.

Everyone agreed.

•••

Later that night, after setting up a temporary area for Rosie in our guest room, I crawled into bed next to Percy.

"Thank you," I mumbled into his shoulder.

"What for?" he chuckled, brushing the hair off my face.

"For bringing Rosie here. How did you find her?"

"I was walking to Starbucks and I almost ran her over and then she looked cold so I bought her a hot chocolate then she told me her name but she didn't really remember much so I took her to the neurologist after she told me I could then bam we're here." he explained.

"All of that happened today?"

Percy's cheeks turned pink. "Well, no. It's been a few weeks."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why'd you keep it from me for so long?"