Chapter Forty-One: Life and Puppies

Annabeth

Standing up to Hermes felt like getting released from a bench press you've been stuck under for hours. It was amazing.

When we went to pick up the girls, I noticed Annie was slightly flushed. The ten year old was blushing like she'd just been kissed for the first time. Rosalie was smirking at her best friend knowingly.

"Hey, Annie, are you alright?" I asked, looking at her through the rear-view mirror.

"I'm fine!" She squeaked out.

"You sure? You look pretty flushed." Percy commented.

"Yeah, she's better than fine." Rosie grinned.

"If you say so," I smiled slightly.

It was a short ride to our new house, which I was glad for. The awkward silence was killing me. When we were inside, Rosie and Annie went downstairs to play a game of pool, and Percy and I worked on getting our bedroom setup.

"Does this lamp look better here," Percy put the lamp on the dresser, "or here?" Then he moved it to a side table next to the tv.

"Dresser, definitely." I answered. We have to pick which photos to hang up in here and which to hang in the hallway." I opened one of many boxes filled with pictures.

"We need the one of us and all our friends and kids next to the lamp." He took the frame out of my hand and slipped the picture into it.

"Why there?" I asked, taking out more frames.

"So that when we wake up in the morning or night to whatever, we can see everyone we love."

"That's really cheesy but also really sweet." I smiled. "Mostly sweet."

"But we also need the picture of Annie and Rosie next to it. Then right there," Percy jumped up to touch a section of wall higher than he could reach, "we need the picture of us at the Metropolitan."

"You're such an amazing decorator, Seaweed Brain."

"I'm a sexy half-Greek and a sexy decorator, hm?" Percy wiggled his eyebrows.

"Very." I agreed.

•••

Two weeks later, and Percy's birthday was a day away. School shopping was underway, but more importantly, Percy's birthday was a day away. I had no idea what to get him.

I paced the living room, while our kids watched me anxiously.

"Mom, are you alright?" Rosie asked me. "Percy's birthday is twenty-four hours away, you still have time to get him a present."

"That's not my problem. I just don't know what to get him." I waved my hands around.

"He likes cooking, he likes food, get him  something related to that." Annie shrugged nonchalantly.

"It's not that simple. It needs to be special."

"Get him a ring, since you're engaged?" Rosie suggested.

"No, he hates rings. They bother his fingers."

"What about one of those sensory things? They help with ADHD and anxiety and stuff?"

"He has millions of them." As I paced back and forth, I remembered the one thing he'd been asking about for months. "Get in the car, I figured it out!"

•••

I'd warned Annie and Rosie not to tell Percy, and somehow they were able to keep the exciting secret until right after he got home from work on his birthday. At least, That's what Percy told me. I was in town picking up his surprise.