Chapter Six: Date

Chapter Six: Date

Annabeth

"So Annabeth–I was wondering–would you–"

"Hm?" I looked up from my coffee. Across the table was Ken, fidgeting with his thumbs.

"Would you like to go grab coffee sometime? Together?" I smirked.

"Isn't that what we're doing right now?" he blushed.

"I mean...a date. Would you go on a date with me?"

"Of course, but–"

"You're with that other guy, aren't you?"

"What? No, no. Percy and I aren't dating. It's just before we get committed, I should probably be honest with you about something." I looked down.

"What would that be?" Ken asked cautiously.

"Well, remember how I told you a-about how I h-had a daughter?" Ken nodded. "The reason you never see her...she died last year. Her father kidnapped her and threw her into a river in Boston. We couldn't save her fast enough."

Ken was silent for a few minutes, then sighed. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I wasn't ready. And if we are going to be together, then I need to be honest with you." He took my hand.

"I'm glad you told me...so is that a yes?" I wiped my eyes on my sleeve.

"Yes."

•••

"So? How'd it go?" Percy asked me the following week.

"Good. We have a date in two days. Ken said it would be a surprise–just to meet him at someplace in Central Park." I said, swirling my coffee around with a spoon.

"That's great. I'm happy for you, Wise Girl." I noticed a slight change in his mood but ignored it. "How long have you known him?"

"A few weeks."

"Did you talk to him about...?"

I nodded sadly. "A little while ago, I found a box in my attic. It held so many meaningful objects–pictures, a letter Rosalie had written, your letterman..." I trailed off. "It's just–it's hard. Being back, I mean. The memories...they are overwhelming. I haven't been able to even go near any of Rosalie's things in months." Percy took me in his arms, kissing my forehead.

"Listen, Wise Girl. Don't take it on all at once. Wait a little while. It's like a wave. It starts really small, right? Then it gets bigger and bigger. In your case, opening up to the past more as you become more comfortable. Then, once the wave reaches its peak, it crashes down and recedes into little waves again. For you, once you get it all off your shoulders, it will feel a lot better."

"You and your ocean analogies." I smiled, feeling better.

"They're awesome, right?"

"Right."

•••

I stood in the warm September night, waiting for Ken in the middle of Central Park. I was a few minutes early when I'd gotten here, and it was now nine ten...fifteen minutes later. I looked around, frowning. I saw a tall figure walking towards me. Squinting, I saw that it was Ken. I frowned.

"I'm so sorry I am late–I got stuck in traffic." my frown faded.

"Understandable. Not used to city traffic?"

"Nope." he laughed.

"So...where are we going?" I asked.

"Just follow me. From the near-to-nothing I know about you, I think you'll like this."