Chapter Forty-Six: Seeing Red

Percy

Annie was less than excited to meet Gail. I assured her that Rachel said she was a very nice person, but I understood my daughter's reservations. She'd only just gotten used to being back in contact with her mother, and she hadn't had a great experience with Rachel's significant others.

"Trust me, your mom said that Gail is a very nice woman. Try not to bash her too hard, okay."

Annie didn't answer, only giving me a short nod. Annabeth and I getting married was already a large adjustment for her, but at least she knew and liked her. I'd never actually talked to Gail, so I had no idea what to expect. We walked into the diner we were meeting at and I spotted the couple immediately. Rachel was in her usual paint-splattered overalls and the woman next to her...Gail...really was the female version of Frank. She had a sturdy structure, broad shoulders, and a round face. Her eyes were dark in color but shimmered with happiness. We approached, and Annie scowled.

"Hey, Annie." Rachel smiled, waving us over. I pulled out a chair for her before sitting down myself.

"Hi," she replied shortly.

"Annie, this is Gail, my girlfriend." Rachel gestured to Gail.

"Hey, kid." Gail waved. "Do you want me to call you Annie, or is that a nickname for something?"

"My name is Annalise. Do you want me to call you Gail, or is that a nickname for something?"

Gail chuckled. "I guess I deserved that. What's your favorite color?"

"Blue." Annie crossed her arms.

"That's crazy because that is my favorite color too."

She cracked a small smile before returning to her rigid expression. "Do you live with my mom?"

"Not yet, but maybe someday. How would you feel about that?" Gail asked.

"I personally don't mind it, I guess. My dad and his fiancee moved in together in March and it was pretty sweet. Having three moms would also be pretty cool. I think I'd be okay with it as long as you promise to not be a jackwad. You know what I do to jackwads?"

"What?" Gail leaned closer.

"I cuss them out. Then I get in trouble, but it's worth it."

She leaned back in her seat. "I'll make sure not to be a jackwad then, so you don't get in trouble." she nodded, smiling.

I noticed that Annie was beginning to crack. Her posture had loosened, her usual smile returning slowly.

"So...are you two official yet?" Annie asked, narrowing her eyes.

"Yeah, I'd say so." Rachel took Gail's hand and smiled up at her. "We've been together for a while."

"No, not like that. My friend Ben told me that people have to do it in order to be official."

"Do what?" Gail raised her eyebrow suspiciously.

"You know...the thing? I don't actually know what it's called but it's a thing that people do apparently." she made flailing motions with her hands.

Rachel's face reddened when she realized what Annie was talking about, and it only took me a few seconds after her. I sunk into my chair, covering my face with my hands.

"I'm pretty sure that my dad and his fiancee are official. Uncle Leo is always making some kind of joke and Annabeth always whacks him after. It's not abusive or anything, they were almost step-siblings, you know" Annie continued talking without a filter. Gail still had no idea what Annie was talking about, meanwhile Rachel and I were dying of laughter and embarrassment.