Chapter Forty: Bane of My Existence

Percy

"Thank you so much for watching them, Sarah." Annabeth and I thanked Ben and Hadley's mother for watching Annie and Rosie while we went to the Olympian meeting.

"It's no problem, really." Sarah waved it off. "What time do you think you'll be able to pick them up?"

"Um..." I trailed off. These meetings could take hours.

"It's one now so...expect to see us anywhere from four to six. These meetings take ages." Annabeth answered.

"That's perfectly fine. Good luck!" She called as we walked down their driveway to our car.

"Who do you think Zeus will fire this time?" I asked Annabeth.

"My guess is either Dionysus or Apollo. As much as I love them, Dionysus is fucking annoying and Apollo is great at getting on his nerves." She rolled her eyes and got into the driver's seat.

"Hopefully he doesn't get too pissed your mom can't show up. That would be bad."

"Tell me about it." She huffed. "Anytime I try to call her it goes straight to voicemail. I'm guessing she is either ignoring me, didn't feel like coming to the states, or is hooking up with someone."

"There is no way she's hooking up with someone, Annabeth." I laughed.

"You never know. Greek guys are hot."

"Lucky for you, I'm half Greek," I wiggled my eyebrows.

"That's why I'm marrying you. For your knock-out gorgeous-"

Incoming call from: Estelle

Annabeth grinned and pressed accept. "Hey, Estelle. How's the apartment treating you?"

"Um-good. I was wondering if you remembered to change your address on mail and bills and stuff because there were a bunch of letters from some guy named Ken."

"You've got to be kidding me," she muttered.

"Why was he mailing you shit?" I asked, raising my eyebrow.

"I've got no idea. I fired him and he probably sent me a ton of complaints." She turned onto the bridge leading to Manhattan. "Did you read any of them, Estelle?"

"No, do you want me to read some of them to you?"

"Yes please."

"Alright, I've got one right here." She cleared her throat and began to read:

Annabeth,

I know I messed up a lot. I've changed my ways since we broke up, and I wanted to apologize. I realize what I did was wrong. I never should have let my friends touch you like that, and I never should have rushed you into things. I'm really sorry for all that I've done wrong to you. I hope you can forgive me and give me my job back. My TV show got shut down.

Ken

"Oh, is this your ex? I remember him. He was nice, but a bit sketchy."

"I told him to stay away from me," she said angrily. "Just ignore the letters. If he sends more, tell us and we'll take care of it."

"Alright. Mom said you guys had this big special work meeting to go to today, so I'll let you go."

"Bye, Estelle. Love you," I said.

"Love you, bye." She hung up.

"I told him to stay away." Annabeth said. "He promised me he would."